Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Playroom Troubles

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:41 AM
  • 9 Replies

I am having trouble with our playroom. We can not seem to figure out what we should and shouldn't do with this room. I am hoping to add more stimulation to the room and to add some therapy tools in it for interactive play. Has anyone made a playroom like this in their house? If so can you give any pointers or link me to sites that sell some good affordable therapy tools. I have an Autistic Son a Son with ADHD and a child with Bi Polar so I need durable stuff. Anger can sometimes flow pretty heavy if all are having an off day.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LIMom1105
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Maybe a ball pit if he likes them? The balls might fly, but they are very light. An exercise ball. I am not sure how old your child is, or if he would like this, but some have sit and spins. If he likes sports, maybe Nerf basketball?

My son loves board games, and they are good for interaction.
RockinMama0608
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Although some of the stuff can be pricey, there is a website that has a ton of items for special needs kids.  If you want to check it out, visit www.beyondplay.com

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM

some times at ocean state job lot, they have exercise balls that are good for our kids to bounce on if he likes that,  bean bag chair, party lights, melisa and doug toys aren't cheap but are good too. ball pit, bubbles,  also thomas trains and cars are usually a big hit with our kids

LadyOsgood
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

We have lots of areas to crash without getting hurt. Yoga balls and a mini trampoline. Ordered a lycra swing (like my youngest uses in OT...oldest hates the swing lol). Ball pits are awesome if your kids enjoy it and picking up the plastic balls doesn't drive you insane. We do a lot of home made and DIY projects because therapy equipment is pricey.

Siobhan69
by Siobhan on May. 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I have to agree with the ball pit. Our son loves the ball pit and throws himself in there and just loves to sit in the middle and jump up and down. Just make sure that no one throws other items in there like my son who dumped all of his trains in and then jumped in on them and hurt himself.

navyjen
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

What about a sand/water table that the lid only comes off of when everyone is in the right mood.  I dont have a room like this.  My son is now 14 and when he has a meltdown moment he usually just retreats to his room to do so.

Amy819
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM
jumpolines are good for ball pits. u can get them at mejier for $40. they can be a trampoline or ball pit. sensory boxes are good because u can put them in the closet and get them out when you want to use them. i don't know if u have an ikea near you, but they have all kinds of spinning chairs and swings for cheap.
Sheriff6
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM
We run a Son-rise playroom. We keep it distraction free with toys up on a shelf to help encourage language. We have nothing electronic because we want the human to be the most exciting thing in the playroom.

We have puzzles, potato heads, stringing beads, play food, exercise ball, slide or climbing thing, bubbles, books, dress up items, stickers, drawing boards etc....
Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM

My son is 14 now but when he was smaller we had a mini trampoline, and a swing hanging from the ceiling.  We also had the crawl thru tunnels which led to a ball pit :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)