Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

does your asberger child talk to you about his or her day at school?/do they talk to them self alot?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • 24 Replies

mine dont . now she will when in room talking to her self. 

by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
navyjen
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM

He doesnt talk about his day very much and if he does its really hard to get alot of details out of him.  Its almost at times like he is oblivious to what goes on around him during the day and lives mostly in the here and now.   He doesnt talk to himself that I know of either.  My son is almost 14 years old.  

mallowcup17
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM
She has a hard time remembering details but tries to share things about it as best she can
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyOsgood
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Zoey can talk about it but it's yes or no answers to my questions. Sometimes she will say "We got to paint" or "__ fell down/got sick" but it's not often she just offers up information. Zoey doesn't so much talk to herself but she will use her baby dolls to act out whatever went on during the day.

jordiesmom05
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

No, it is so hard to get anything out of him about school. When I ask him how school was he just shrugs. I usually find out what he learned that day by his drawings in the bathtub. He writes sentences, draws music notes, and numbers. Plus he just blurts things out once in awhile that his teacher said. He does talk to himself sometimes.

BATY
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Mine does the talking to him and alot of singing,but he can not ,tell me about his day in school,he will do his homework,   i am longing for the day,he will speak to me

MomRocs1102
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

He tells me about his day most of the time,I don't think Ive ever heard him talk to himself, i talk to me all the time

justfiveofus
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Okay I'm so glad I'm not the only one because I talk to myself all the time too!  :)  I've come to realize that if I can't have a decent conversation with anyone else at least I can with myself lol. 

Quoting MomRocs1102:

He tells me about his day most of the time,I don't think Ive ever heard him talk to himself, i talk to me all the time

justfiveofus
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

If I ask my son how his day was he will say fine (even if it wasn't).  If I ask what he did, he will say I don't know.  Sometimes I'll ask if he had fun and he will say I don't know.  If I ask him to try and remember one thing he gets frustrated.  But if I leave it at how was your day, as he's home he tends to talk more about what he did, things he liked, things he didn't, as the afternoon/evening go on. 

He does talk to himself sometimes and sings to himself most of the time.  I've noticed when he talks to himself he's usually talking about his obsession of the moment (right now it's presidents) and he's usually going over facts or something like that.

HFBMOM
by Julie on May. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM

If I ask, he won't say. :( Usually, I ask how was his day, "good" is the response I get. Did you turn everything in? "yes." or "no, but..." and I respond with let's go get it turned in now.  A yes answer doesn't always mean yes, it means - he doesn't want to go do it.

Once we're in the car, he'll sometimes talk more. Sometimes about his day, sometimes about a tv show, video or movie he's recently seen and is processing. Now that he rides in the front seat, he does talk more. The more questions I ask, the more he'll clam up. I don't know if it's a boy thing, a 13 yr old thing, and aspie thing, or just the way my son is. 

Helping Moms Work from Home
www.HealthyFamilyBiz.com

Siobhan69
by Siobhan on May. 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

My son doesn't really share anything about preschool, you kind of have to pull it out of him. The only way I can get him to talk is asking him questions, like did you read a story today and what was it about, then he will answer. He's very chatty once you put the questions to him but it seems like he can't do it without me prompting him. I haven't heard him talk to himself, I on the other hand talk to myself all the time....lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)