Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I dont know why hes doing this(kindof gross)

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM
  • 13 Replies

my son who is 4 has been having really bad constipaton for 4-5 days now.I tried different ways to get him to poop but he couldn't get anything out.I took him to his doctor yesterday they checked him and asked me questions the usual stuff.The doctor told me my son is holding his poop in he is making himself constipated!! I was like what?why? He said it could be something internally that inflamed that's causing him pain and that's why hes holding his poop in.There is no medication they can give him for pain.My son has be on miralax and mineral oil for everyday until he is cleaned out.if hes not better in two weeks i have to go back and see what else we can do.i hoping this works.

has any of you ASD kids done this before?

Proud momma to Joe and the baby in my belly

toddler boypregnant belly

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on May. 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I have huge GI troubles, as did my son - we went gluten-free and that solved most of the tummy problems we had.

hwifeandmom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Both of my ASD kids have GI problems.  I've wondered whether a gluten-free diet would benefit them, but between the cost and my kids' picky eating, we haven't tried it yet.  Although the doctors insisted that my kids were withholding their stool, I knew from their behaviors that that was not true.  Eventually, testing showed that my kids' poop issues were due to mis-firing neurological signals, not because they were withholding their stool.  Regardless of whether they're constipated due to withholding stool or because of neurolgoical problem, dietary problems, etc., the treatment is the same (stool-softening laxatives).

Even once your son is cleaned out, he'll need to stay on the laxatives longer-term, until his bowels have healed and regained muscle tone (when the bowels get overfull, they get stretched out and lose muscle tone, making it even more difficult to have a bowel movement).  If your son really is holding his poop, then you'll probably need to keep your son on the stool-softening laxatives for several weeks or several months until he is well past his habit of withholding, or he'll end up having the same problem over and over.

We tried mineral oil when my kids were younger.  It is awful tasting.  And, I've since learned that it can prevent the absorption of some nutrients.  Mineral oil is effective as a laxative, but it's old school, and there are better stool-softening laxatives available.  My son takes Miralax okay, but both of my ASD kids can't stand the taste of it.  It's supposed to be flavorless, but it's not really.  If your son is taking these meds acceptably, and they're working well for him, then I wouldn't change what you're doing.  If he's having a difficult time taking these meds, then I'd try a different variety of stool-softening laxatives, such as Benefiber, Fiber Choice or the new Metamucil in the BLUE bottle "Clear and Natural" with Inulin.  The new Metamucil is what my daughter uses, and it's truly flavorless, even in water.  It's active ingredient is Inulin, which comes from the chickory root plant.

amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM

We're doing the Miralax, too.  It does help (my son doesn't hold his poop, but he has huge, toilet clogging stools if we don't use Miralax).

lp2074
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM

yes. my son did. i found mixing some benefiber into his drinks daily worked.  made it easier to go. hope this helps.

Mrs.philbrick25
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

i would do the gluten free diet with my son but i have 4 doctors(2 pediatricians, one autism Dr and a GI Dr)all tell me not to do that diet with my son.it would hurt him more than help him so i just stay away from it. The miralax is working Dr wants to see him in two weeks and see if he will be able to go off it and poop on his own.

Mrs.philbrick25
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM

im going to try the benefiber.i have IBS and i wondering if my son had it too but dr said no.i need a fiber source daily also

Quoting lp2074:

yes. my son did. i found mixing some benefiber into his drinks daily worked.  made it easier to go. hope this helps.

justfiveofus
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM

My ds will hold it, I think mostly because it's uncomfortable for him to go sometimes.  We use miralax as needed.

Not sure if anyone else's child does this but my ds holds his pee until he's ready to pee his pants (literally).  He's had a ton of accidents at school.  We tell him to go and he will say no he doesn't have to but I can see him dancing!

jax3
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Hi...yeah, I have a friend whose daughter did this during potty training.  And actually shes now 8 and still sometimes does this.  But for about 2-3 years shed hold it in for about 1-2 weeks and then itd be a big boom!  The little gals tummy would hurt and burn and would be hard for the last few days up until she went. She did laxatives and fresh fruit.   

Mrs.philbrick25
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

i never thought that...i feel dumb now lol :p

Quoting jax3:

Hi...yeah, I have a friend whose daughter did this during potty training.  And actually shes now 8 and still sometimes does this.  But for about 2-3 years shed hold it in for about 1-2 weeks and then itd be a big boom!  The little gals tummy would hurt and burn and would be hard for the last few days up until she went. She did laxatives and fresh fruit.   

LadyOsgood
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

z is on miralax all the time. she has always been constiapted...took 2 wks for her to release the full amount of meconium.

a fellow autism mom shared a secret...epsom salt baths.

ARTICLe HERE

and if that doesn't work then find it here and click the one that says epsom salt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)