Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Older kids - 18+

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:13 PM
  • 9 Replies
How many of you have older kids, 18 plus? My son is 18 and has ASD, would love to hear from mums with other kids. :-)
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM

bump! How is your son doing?

nicksmom217
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM

i am laura, my son is 13, he has HFA, but i am always very interested to read posts about kids who are older, so i would know what to expect. welcome

Jeanne61
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Hi Laura

nice to meet you. My son 1s 18 has ASD and behavioural and learning problems. It does get more difficult unfortunately as they get older. I get your son must be going through puberty which is a very hard time for them. My son become much more aggressive through puberty.

Do you have much support for him and yourself from professionals and family?

Have you any hobbies Laura? I enjoy cooking, particularly baking cakes, also reading and watching tv, plus I belong to several online forums it is nice to be in touch with other parents in similar position as you are in.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Jeanne x
Jeanne61
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM
Hi my son is doing quite well in the care home he is in. He does have good and bad days but that is to be expected. He gets 24 hour care which he needs and is always likely to, it is very unlikely that he will ever be able to live on is own independently. He does suffer with extreme anxiety although this has lessoned since being in the care home.

Jeanne
jeri.arellanes
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:05 AM

My son will be 18 in November.  I'd love to hear what you went through when yours turned 18.  I know I have to get him an ID, register with the Selective Service and apply for SSI.  That's all I know so far.

That's great that your son is living independently (from your home).  I can't imagine mine moving away from home.  He'd freak out!  He'll never leave home, which is fine with me.  

Jeanne61
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Hi Jeri, good to hear from you. I live in the UK, so I don't know what you have to go through in the US, but my son had a social worker and with her help I managed to get Glen into a good residential home where he still is. Sadly due to his very aggressive behaviour I could no longer 'manage' him at home I had to think of his and my own safety.

My son will never be independent he needs 24 hour care which he gets, that's why he will always need somewhere like where he is now for the rest of his life.

Do let me know how you get on as your son approaches 18. Please keep in touch.
Aspiemom0203
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM
I have a 19 yr old, but my son with ASD is 12. Your advice is appreciated though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jeanne61
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Hiya I'm glad to hear you appreciated my advice anytime :-)
kajira
by Emma on May. 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

well - how about being "that kid" who's now an adult with kids of their own :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)