Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

would you replace a pet that just died?

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:35 AM
  • 23 Replies

i have a house full of pets,my hfa/ausbergers son was extremly attached to big kitty,he is the only pet he loved and showed attention to,about 2 weeks ago we found big kitty dead,we had a funeral and made a grave stone for him,my son went from wanting to dig his cat up to standing next to the grave and saying a prayer asking god to bring back his cat,ive explained that the cat is not comming back and he understands,im thinking about taking him to the animal shelter and picking out a new best buddy for him but the people ive talked to about it thinks its a bad idea and he needs to learn that you have to accept change and you cant just replace somthing you love with somthing else,whats your opinion would you get a new pet or not ?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Macphee
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 6:59 AM
As painful as it is for him, I would say give it time. If you get another cat right away, he will expect to be like his previous one. just find a way for him to understand his sadness.

Give it a couple of weeks. Poor guy.

My MIL dog died and my kids were upset. I found All dogs go to heaven. It comforted them a bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:02 AM

I used to feel that way until my dads dog died.  He was so attached to him he kept looking for him everytime he walked in the house :(  We were told by the vet a new dog would help through the grieving process.  It sure did, my dad still misses his dog but has found similar qualities and a likeness in the new dog.  Has really helped him .  I say go with what you feel your son needs.  Good luck!

momtoscott
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I'd recommend waiting a little while before getting a new pet, to let your boy process the experience.  It's always a sad time for the family when a pet dies.  It could be overwhelming in a different way for your son if you got a new pet right away.  I'm sure whichever way you decide to go, things will work out. 

RockinMama0608
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I would give it some time before introducing a new pet.  I know it is hard for him and for you to watch him be upset, but he needs to accept the loss before getting a new pet.  Plus, if he has a hard time getting attached to animals, I don't think this would be the right time as it may be emotionally overwhelming for him.

Sorry about your loss and I hope that it all works out  ((hugs))

Siobhan69
by Siobhan on May. 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I would go ahead and get him another cat. You can explain that God can't bring Big Kitty back but he said you should take care of a another little kitty that needs a home and see how he responds to that.

Leobaby2007
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, poor big kitty! :-( I have a 17 year old cat. I have to check to make sure he breathing when he's asleep because I am so prarnoid.'

I am HUGE cat lover. The most I had at once was 3 and it was a zoo, so I can't imagine what having 3 children is like!

Personally, I am going to wait before getting a kitten, mostly for selfish reasons. I have been cleaning a litter box since 1995 and I'm sick of it. Also, time to grieve, etc.

However, if you're up for getting a new pet, I don't see why it's such a bad idea. Your son will understand that big kitty is no longer here, but in "kitty heaven", if you believe in kitty heaven (I do lol). If having a cat makes him happy and you're okay with the extra work and expense that comes with a pet, I personally think it's fine, but that's just my opinion.

Here's my Oscar. Had him since I was 20, a junior in college. Oscar wanted to me convey the message, "May 'big kitty' rest in peace.":

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, I'm not really a cat lover but he is gorgeous!  hmmm now thinking my two dogs need a new friend :)

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Oh, poor big kitty! :-( I have a 17 year old cat. I have to check to make sure he breathing when he's asleep because I am so prarnoid.'

I am HUGE cat lover. The most I had at once was 3 and it was a zoo, so I can't imagine what having 3 children is like!

Personally, I am going to wait before getting a kitten, mostly for selfish reasons. I have been cleaning a litter box since 1995 and I'm sick of it. Also, time to grieve, etc.

However, if you're up for getting a new pet, I don't see why it's such a bad idea. Your son will understand that big kitty is no longer here, but in "kitty heaven", if you believe in kitty heaven (I do lol). If having a cat makes him happy and you're okay with the extra work and expense that comes with a pet, I personally think it's fine, but that's just my opinion.

Here's my Oscar. Had him since I was 20, a junior in college. Oscar wanted to me convey the message, "May 'big kitty' rest in peace.":

fourkidsinnc
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM

thankyou, your cat is beautiful

kajira
by Emma on May. 9, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

when my son's dog died - we made him weight a while to make sure him asking for a new dog was something he really wanted, then for his birthday, we picked out a dog with him and they are best buddies and it was great.

When I lose a pet - I always get a new one. It makes it hurt less - it doesn't REPLACE them - because they aren't the same animal - but it eases it a little... and I always just told myself that my animal wouldn't want me to be lonely.

- but it's not the next day. when my cat goku died from kitty lukemia - I knew I wanted another cat - and found a rescue and spend some time researching to find one. I spent a few months researching cat breeds, and figuring out what I wanted to make sure I still wanted another lynx point siamese.

Then.. I find one from a rescue... and I brought him home. A few months later, I decided he needed a buddy and found another one.

this was 5 years ago.

I have Tanuki - and Ash

Tanuki was my rescue - who's 20+ lbs and ash was the kitten I found at a feed store that someone had dumped with his sister in farm country and didn't know they were siameses - i took them both home and gave his sister to my grandparents. LOL

this is Tanuki - he has survived multiple dogs - and is on his second toddler.

Leobaby2007
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Austinsmom4544:

Lol! He's a blue Persian and a lovey dovey "lap cat". :-) Best pet I've ever had...

I have adorable kitten photos of them at my mom's house. Will post those eventually. Kittens are FUN. But so are puppies. Kittens don't chew your shoes or furniture, though lol!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)