Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Autism mom trying to help ADHD/ADD nephew/godson! Need helpful advise Desperate Here! I even joined their page but they dont have many members!

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM
  • 4 Replies

He also has sensory issues as well biting hitting smelling licking hand rituals scratching and sensitive to certain clothe tags sensitive to milk products regular dosages make him vomit or feel pain.  Scribbles circles on school work without meds with meds student of the week so the meds do help... I may take him for awhile his Mom well that's a long story but he needs my help.  I just want info before I take on the responsibility it may be permanent!  I know some of your ASD kids have ADHD or ADD or both so any advise would be great!

by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kickinit
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I also care for my 8-yr-old autistic nephew.  His parents lost their priviledges due to drug abuse.  It is a huge undertaking and be prepared for the backlash from his mom when everything starts getting much better for him.  My bro and partner are extremely jealous and do whatever they can to down play my nephew RJ's accomplishments. 

Make sure he is seen  again by his normal doc and if he hasn't seen a psychologist for a dx, ask his doc for a referral.  It is important to get an accurate dx from a psychologist as they are really the only qualified medical professional that can do this.  If meds are the key get very proactive about supplying him with these and making sure he's taking them accurately and getting proper follow-ups.  If not care for properly they can also become a huge problem. 

Get involved with the school and ask about an emergency IEP so you can be informed of what accomodations are being used for him to accurately learn.  IF he does not have one, You request it and/or have SS or his mother whoever you are dealing with push for this.  It will be very beneficial for his learning and behavioral problems.  Ask about ABA therapy for him and an OT either thru his doc or the school.  These are important resources to have due to his sensory issues.  Also make sure they train you in his sensory issues and how they are helping him with them.  My nephew loves to be rolled up in a blanket and loves pressure applied all over his body at times when struggling with behaviors or focusing issues. 

Rj also had adhd and we are currently not medicating as we are waiting to see a psychiatrist to make prescribe meds that will accurately take care of the adhd symptoms.  I have also switched his diet to only natural sugars in fruit or honey and all whole grain and made from scratch reciepes.  The fast food stuff is a no go for children with adhd and/or asd.  It has worked wonders for him and for my oldest son who was originally dx with adhd when if fact He probably has aspberger's.  He needs to be seen again by his psychologist for a new dx...but at 16 he also has to agree to see him again and take meds if needed.  He has agreed he does need some add help just not sure about going thru all the tests again.  grueling for a aspberger child. 

I would also try to get financial resources for him, whether it be from the state or thru the Social Security.  You and him will need the financial help.  We are not getting much financial help right now and its quite expensive and hard on an annual income family (ranchers). 

I sure hope I did not lay too much on you and that you still consider helping this little boy out.  Good luch and God bless.  YOu can always instant msg me with any other questions you may have.   

amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Welcome to the group!

Alma4Mom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM

oops forgot to quote u

No not at all I actually remembered some of your comments and hoped you'd help I honestly don't know if I can handle it but I love that boy and he deserves love and understanding I have pushed my sister for all of the above so i don't know how I can take over for his Dr.'s and well fighting for him legaly since she wont give me custody I just asked her for $150 dollars from her food stamps card to cover food at least it's gona be him and his brother but this kid has so many issues I believe some emotional traumas as well! I hope I can be the best for him and that my husband doesn't grow inpatient with time.  Bless ur soul and be ready cause help i will need!

Quoting kickinit:

I also care for my 8-yr-old autistic nephew.  His parents lost their priviledges due to drug abuse.  It is a huge undertaking and be prepared for the backlash from his mom when everything starts getting much better for him.  My bro and partner are extremely jealous and do whatever they can to down play my nephew RJ's accomplishments. 

Make sure he is seen  again by his normal doc and if he hasn't seen a psychologist for a dx, ask his doc for a referral.  It is important to get an accurate dx from a psychologist as they are really the only qualified medical professional that can do this.  If meds are the key get very proactive about supplying him with these and making sure he's taking them accurately and getting proper follow-ups.  If not care for properly they can also become a huge problem. 

Get involved with the school and ask about an emergency IEP so you can be informed of what accomodations are being used for him to accurately learn.  IF he does not have one, You request it and/or have SS or his mother whoever you are dealing with push for this.  It will be very beneficial for his learning and behavioral problems.  Ask about ABA therapy for him and an OT either thru his doc or the school.  These are important resources to have due to his sensory issues.  Also make sure they train you in his sensory issues and how they are helping him with them.  My nephew loves to be rolled up in a blanket and loves pressure applied all over his body at times when struggling with behaviors or focusing issues. 

Rj also had adhd and we are currently not medicating as we are waiting to see a psychiatrist to make prescribe meds that will accurately take care of the adhd symptoms.  I have also switched his diet to only natural sugars in fruit or honey and all whole grain and made from scratch reciepes.  The fast food stuff is a no go for children with adhd and/or asd.  It has worked wonders for him and for my oldest son who was originally dx with adhd when if fact He probably has aspberger's.  He needs to be seen again by his psychologist for a new dx...but at 16 he also has to agree to see him again and take meds if needed.  He has agreed he does need some add help just not sure about going thru all the tests again.  grueling for a aspberger child. 

I would also try to get financial resources for him, whether it be from the state or thru the Social Security.  You and him will need the financial help.  We are not getting much financial help right now and its quite expensive and hard on an annual income family (ranchers). 

I sure hope I did not lay too much on you and that you still consider helping this little boy out.  Good luch and God bless.  YOu can always instant msg me with any other questions you may have.   

kickinit
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I applied thru the state for TANF for needy families.  I recieve a little money this way, but yea, his parents will not help either.  You need to network and discuss this with your husband.  He needs a job with the boys so he can feel involved.  My husband jumped at the chance to take care of RJ.  He is just a very caring person, but does lose patience with his parents.  But, I give him that, and when I also am all in with them, he's always there to bail me out too.  You so need his help.  You cannot do this alone.  Don't try and rely on your sister much.  You might get really hurt to find out just how much she really does not care.  It simply breaks my heart daily...so I try to distance myself from them.  I also have a great support system thru Department of Social Services.  Im not sure how you feel about them, but they are a great resource of help for SN children and may be able to help out thru the Kindship program.  I cannot be paid thru this program as I live in another state from RJ's parents.  We only live within 30 mi of them but they cannot pay monies into my state from theirs...kinda disappointing.  We are going to become foster parents and then will get a larger reimbursement for RJ's care. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN