Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Some of yall know that I have gone back to school and have plans to be a Special Education Teacher.

It's time for my first research paper and I am stuck on topics. I can choose but I have to pick a side. Basically if I write about Autism I would have to pick a side of the vaccination debate. Or maybe the pro's of EI. Or if medication really does help/or doesn't help.

Get the picture?

So here is where yall can help.

If you could write about anything...ASD or not...what would it be?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Replies (31-40):
LadyOsgood
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I could but I don't know which side I would be on. For or against. We haven't done natural medication or special diets and I get many mixed reviews on if they work or not.

Quoting crossnlilly:

I would write about the effect of natural meds and special diets

LadyOsgood
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I am learning that one now. So far our system doesn't see either child in need of special education...right because going to therapy multiple times a week is just for fun...

Quoting mallowcup17:

more services in schools. i know now how lucky we are to have access to so many in schools and through the system but i am aware many do not...

Quoting LadyOsgood:

I would have to lean heavily on yall for this one as we are only entering kindergarten and I have not been to an IEP meeting yet (scheduled for 5/17).

What is my stand though? More services? Stricter consequences for teachers that ignore IEP goals and requests?

Quoting mallowcup17:

Schools role and responsilities with ieps

LadyOsgood
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I fully believe girls present with Autism differently. Not always but many times. This subject is in my top 5 now.

Quoting LIMom1105:

I like the idea of researching differences between girls and boys. Maybe there really are fewer girls with autism, but I have wondered if the way they exhibit autism is different, and does not disturb teachers and parents generally. It's possible, they are finding many physical ailments affect women differently than men.

LadyOsgood
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I have an differnt view point but it's not because we didn't know about autism. I think sometimes it's more than Autism and some doctors are lazy and say that's it and parents don't know any better or have no one else to go to.

Quoting jeri.arellanes:

I would write about the epidemic proportion of autism everywhere.  I don't believe it's because it was not diagnosed  before because we didn't know that much about autism.  I believe it its a true epidemic.  1 in 88 and growing!!!  When my 17 year old was first diagnosed at age 3, it was 1 in 1000!

Nonnieloo
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM
I have a book about girls on the spectrum and it touches on some reasons for perhaps girls not being diagnosed as much and cited sources. I can't remember the exact name, I'll have to look for it. You should be able to find enough research on the topic and I'm sure many of us could provide our opinions!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyOsgood
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I know I have to have 10 sources (at least) and being a mom with girls on the spectrum...I have yet to find 10 sources that don't look like someone copied and pasted the same words over and over.

If you find the book I would be very interested in knowing the title and if I choose anything spectrum related you can bet your hiney I will be asking yall for help lol

Quoting Nonnieloo:

I have a book about girls on the spectrum and it touches on some reasons for perhaps girls not being diagnosed as much and cited sources. I can't remember the exact name, I'll have to look for it. You should be able to find enough research on the topic and I'm sure many of us could provide our opinions!

elizabooks
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Do the medication one. The Eric.gov database has a lot of papers from Asia & Europe on this subject.
LadyOsgood
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM

If medications are beneficial or not?

Thanks for the website. I will check it out tonight when I do homework.

Quoting elizabooks:

Do the medication one. The Eric.gov database has a lot of papers from Asia & Europe on this subject.

cmsloco
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM

i agree with mallowcup.  School responsibility and the iep.  Our school system is about 10 yrs behind here and there is nothing for the kids that are mid-spectrum...we have things for children that are severe but the ones that are middle ground are getting lost in the shuffle

LadyOsgood
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM

It's on my top 5 list. My girls are already being failed by the system here even though they aren't in the school yet.

Quoting cmsloco:

i agree with mallowcup.  School responsibility and the iep.  Our school system is about 10 yrs behind here and there is nothing for the kids that are mid-spectrum...we have things for children that are severe but the ones that are middle ground are getting lost in the shuffle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)