Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

i thought the park was supose to be fun!

Posted by   + Show Post
Here we are at the park. Its just us its full of horsing around and throwing shoes. What ever happen to sliding and hiding go seek? Nope its to boring to play properly. Then there's the whole constant screaming of " mom, and aaaaaaa!" Then other kids show up and instead of being happy to play and make new friends, its awkwardness. I say go play make friends. They say, No they don't want to play with us. They don't even put out an effort to make friends. I understand they all have social issues. I just wish they would make an effort. Ahhh....anyone else with similar issues?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
myfirstborn04
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM
If there ate smaller kids it not bad, but if bigger kids show up forget it we leave. Its a small park no swings. Its good for them cause its not very busy. But there are preteens and teens who hang and they realy shouldn't be there. Their language is bad too. The nasty stuff they talk about is ridiculous. I already have problems with my 5 year old who cusses worse than a sailor.

Quoting shell3m:

My boys do the same....LOL!  I try for a bit with Dean but if I see it's just too much for him we leave.  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting twins0506:

We went to the park today and for the 1st time they finally played "normally". But we have been going very consistently lately. So I guess that's all I can really say is just go consistently. It is a huge pain in the @ss at 1st but it paid off! We had a great time today (not trying to rub it in).

Gabe had a "good" day at the park today too. For the first time, my son answered the question of another kid.

Before the other kid was there, I tried to convince my son to go on the big kid swing, but he wasn't having it.

Then a four yr old and his grandma joined us at the park. The 4 yr old boy was swinging next to my son on the big swing. My son was in the baby swing. The grandma said, "say hi to the boy" The boy said, "he's a baby. He's little" So I ask the boy, "How old are you?" He said, "I'm 4" I said, "Wow that is big" The boy asked my son, "How old are you?" I looked at Gabe and he said, "Three"

Yay! I count that as proper interaction :) LOL

HFBMOM
by Julie on May. 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Hang in there, mama. The park may get easier, or not... my son used to find a corner of the sand box and not move. If I went with him on the swings or slides, he could tolerate it for a minute or two, but it just wasn't fun for him. I realized much later that he REALLY didn't like any type of ride: stroller, car, swing, bicycle, roller coaster... I used to carry him in the backpack all the time because he hated the stroller so much.

Fast forward to his 13th birthday, all he wants to do is ride the go karts because he is finally tall enough :) We're going on June 2nd (his bday was in March but this is our first opportunity), and we'll see if he rides more than once :)driving

LadyOsgood
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this

We have a swing set that Santa brought them for Christmas ("Santa" got it for $75 on a awesome after Thanksgiving online sale).

We have this because going to the park sends them into spiralling meltdowns. We invite kids. They will play or they don't. We have learned to make connections with similar families. Most of the kids that come and play understand the quirky behavior (like little siblings who have a special older sib or just an older child who still likes to play like a little kid).

We also learned that sometimes walking the fence line is ok. Sometimes other park kids will join the line (No joke! Once last summer there were 10 kids in a line walking around the perimeter of the play area).

Sometimes I encourage them to play with other kids but I know my girls. They will do it on their own time in their own way.

HFBMOM
by Julie on May. 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I remember that!!! We've done that before too, both with and without parents walking the line as well. 

Quoting LadyOsgood:

... We also learned that sometimes walking the fence line is ok. Sometimes other park kids will join the line (No joke! Once last summer there were 10 kids in a line walking around the perimeter of the play area).

Helping Moms Work from Home
www.HealthyFamilyBiz.com

kajira
by Emma on May. 13, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

that mentality is why we built a gignatic playset for our son and put it in the front part of our yard hoping it would draw attention from the neighborhood kids and they'd ask if they could play.

Quoting LadyOsgood:

We have a swing set that Santa brought them for Christmas ("Santa" got it for $75 on a awesome after Thanksgiving online sale).

We have this because going to the park sends them into spiralling meltdowns. We invite kids. They will play or they don't. We have learned to make connections with similar families. Most of the kids that come and play understand the quirky behavior (like little siblings who have a special older sib or just an older child who still likes to play like a little kid).

We also learned that sometimes walking the fence line is ok. Sometimes other park kids will join the line (No joke! Once last summer there were 10 kids in a line walking around the perimeter of the play area).

Sometimes I encourage them to play with other kids but I know my girls. They will do it on their own time in their own way.

LadyOsgood
by on May. 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM

We roll with whatever they do. Over the years we have come to know a lot of the kids since we see them around town and at the park. Of course as parents we jabber about our kids. They learned many things and are still some of the best supporters of my kids. The day Z finally went down the slide we all cheered. When L began to walk it was a celebration. We cheer each other on during the summer. They might not understand all of it. they might not live it. But on the playground we are all just moms with kids. Mine so far are the only ones we know with special needs (at this park at least) and it's nice to know those parents bring their children around mine to learn about accepting differences!

Quoting HFBMOM:

I remember that!!! We've done that before too, both with and without parents walking the line as well. 

Quoting LadyOsgood:

... We also learned that sometimes walking the fence line is ok. Sometimes other park kids will join the line (No joke! Once last summer there were 10 kids in a line walking around the perimeter of the play area).

LadyOsgood
by on May. 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Can we come play?

That looks totally awesome. We don't have any kids in the neighborhood anymore so our swing set is for when we invite others. We will be setting up part of our backyard for a play area (ok really it's a sensory playground lol) and also a garden that we want to start with some other home schoolers.

Quoting kajira:

that mentality is why we built a gignatic playset for our son and put it in the front part of our yard hoping it would draw attention from the neighborhood kids and they'd ask if they could play.

Quoting LadyOsgood:

kajira
by Emma on May. 13, 2012 at 8:27 PM

there's kids everywhere here - but my son won't talk to them when they walk by and say hi - we prompt him but he's pretty oblivious.

He says he wants to play with other kids, but when given an oppertunity, he turns me down! then whines I never let him play with other kids. ^.^

Quoting LadyOsgood:

Can we come play?

That looks totally awesome. We don't have any kids in the neighborhood anymore so our swing set is for when we invite others. We will be setting up part of our backyard for a play area (ok really it's a sensory playground lol) and also a garden that we want to start with some other home schoolers.

Quoting kajira:

Quoting LadyOsgood:

LadyOsgood
by on May. 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Z is learning to play with others. She wants to and with help she can join in.

L is in her own little world. She could care less.

I didn't like to play with other kids. I am not one to hang out with friends now.

Quoting kajira:

there's kids everywhere here - but my son won't talk to them when they walk by and say hi - we prompt him but he's pretty oblivious.

He says he wants to play with other kids, but when given an oppertunity, he turns me down! then whines I never let him play with other kids. ^.^

Quoting LadyOsgood:

Can we come play?

Quoting kajira:

Quoting LadyOsgood:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)