Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

i thought the park was supose to be fun!

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM
  • 27 Replies
Here we are at the park. Its just us its full of horsing around and throwing shoes. What ever happen to sliding and hiding go seek? Nope its to boring to play properly. Then there's the whole constant screaming of " mom, and aaaaaaa!" Then other kids show up and instead of being happy to play and make new friends, its awkwardness. I say go play make friends. They say, No they don't want to play with us. They don't even put out an effort to make friends. I understand they all have social issues. I just wish they would make an effort. Ahhh....anyone else with similar issues?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on May. 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Yep. Me.

^.^ 
I make my friends online. LOL I encourage my son to try and make friends and offer solutions on how to play with kids and he's fine in a 1 on 1 situation with a younger or older kid, but his peers he struggles with and wiht more then 1 kid he *really* struggles with out guidance to help him get through it.

RockinMama0608
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this

When we go to the park, my NT son has no problem playing with other kids.  He can be shy at times but for the most part he and the other kids just chase each other.  Will, my ASD son, tends to play alone.  I am just happy that he will play around other kids (he used to cling to me and refused to play if other kids were there). 

((hugs))  Just keep taking them.  The more they go to the park the higher the chance that they will socialize with other kids (happened with both of my boys and was recommended through Early Intervention).  Good luck!

jordiesmom05
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, my son just plays by himself. He watches the other kids playing, but will not talk to them if they talk to him. I don't have any advice, just know the frustration you are feeling.

jax3
by on May. 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah... I get it.  Just like the Zoo is suppose to be fun. ---We were just there today:(  But that was all about whining about how I dont want to walk, my feet hurt and Im tired and thirsty.  
I hate the park.  The park is only fun if we go by ourselves and I hope upon hope no other kids show up when we are visiting.
Good Luck. 

Capricorn89f
by on May. 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM
2 moms liked this

with my nephew...he was really shy and didnt really know how to communicate that he wanted to play with the other kids...even though he obviously did. My sister told him all he had to do was go up and say "hello, my name is joseph...do you want to play." and a few similar phrases.
She then had him try it out on a few children he already knew...including his siblings. Eventually, after some practice, and encouragement...he would just go and do it (park, zoo, school)...he even did it to me when i went to visit with them.

kajira
by Emma on May. 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM
2 moms liked this

omg!! I seriously thought my son was the only one who did the noodle leg refusing to walk whining thing about how much his feet hurt.... LOL

when he was a toddler, I warned my mom in law that if she walked more then half a block to take a stroller, or be prepared to carry him.

She didn't believe me and had to carry him over a mile once. ^.^ after that she bought a wagon. LOL

Quoting jax3:

Yeah... I get it.  Just like the Zoo is suppose to be fun. ---We were just there today:(  But that was all about whining about how I dont want to walk, my feet hurt and Im tired and thirsty.  
I hate the park.  The park is only fun if we go by ourselves and I hope upon hope no other kids show up when we are visiting.
Good Luck. 

ROGUEM
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM
2 moms liked this

With my boys alot of things that would be fun for NT children are not fun for them.  I have found to follow their lead.  They show me what is fun for them.  No, it may not be what others consider fun but that's okay too.  

shell3m
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys do the same....LOL!  I try for a bit with Dean but if I see it's just too much for him we leave.  :)

twins0506
by Holly on May. 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
We went to the park today and for the 1st time they finally played "normally". But we have been going very consistently lately. So I guess that's all I can really say is just go consistently. It is a huge pain in the @ss at 1st but it paid off! We had a great time today (not trying to rub it in).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twins0506
by Holly on May. 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Ahhh the noodle leg! Yep izaiah does that too!

Quoting kajira:

omg!! I seriously thought my son was the only one who did the noodle leg refusing to walk whining thing about how much his feet hurt.... LOL

when he was a toddler, I warned my mom in law that if she walked more then half a block to take a stroller, or be prepared to carry him.

She didn't believe me and had to carry him over a mile once. ^.^ after that she bought a wagon. LOL

Quoting jax3:

Good Luck. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN