Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

SPD and Brushing (Wilbarger Brushing Protocol)

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:05 PM
  • 13 Replies

We started brushing my son (who is diagnosed PDD-NOS, but who's therapists suspect Sensory Processing Distorder) about two months ago.  I'm not sure I see a difference and he HATES it. We do it every two hours. The therapists claim he's less inhibited and that we should continue brushing. Anyone seen great results from brushing? And any tips on making it less of a chore?

by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
greenmommo
by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RockinMama0608
by on May. 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM

My son didn't like it at first but once he got used to it, he loved it!  It helped him calm down and relax.  I would give him a favorite toy or put a cartoon on to help distract him.  It didn't always work but sometimes it did.  Good luck!

kajira
by Emma on May. 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Uhm... I shuddered reading this post... I have no issues asking for sensory stuff when my brain's in the right place for it - but reading this, if someone did that to me, I'd probably be violent for it... this post just triggered my squick, OCD, shudder feeling - so I can't add anything constructive other than if your son seems to hate it, just be careful if he doesn't seem to adjust to it after a while and listen to him.

smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I started it last summer for Bella. I have heard conflicting reports. Some therapists say every 2 hours for 2 weeks at least until you see results and others say every 90 minutes for 6 weeks.

Personally I never saw a huge difference. It wasnt a night/day thing for us. Like bam...calm kid. She likes it though so we do it anyway, along with joint compressions.  You can see though that while it is being done she releases a little. I plan on doing another round where I do it every 90. Since we have been down to maybe once a day if that.

kajira
by Emma on May. 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

see -my son's a kid who'd LAP this kind of a thing up. I can see how something like this would be really helpful for him.

I'm far more anti-touch than he is though. I cant' handle light touches, they make me violent, I feel like I have bugs crawling all over me and I'd become extremely avoidant of the people who'd touch me like that... I'm seriously sitting here remembering them forcing this kind of touch on me as a kid in therapy and it brings back some really, really bad memories I didn't even know I had.... haha

Quoting smarieljlee:

I started it last summer for Bella. I have heard conflicting reports. Some therapists say every 2 hours for 2 weeks at least until you see results and others say every 90 minutes for 6 weeks.

Personally I never saw a huge difference. It wasnt a night/day thing for us. Like bam...calm kid. She likes it though so we do it anyway, along with joint compressions.  You can see though that while it is being done she releases a little. I plan on doing another round where I do it every 90. Since we have been down to maybe once a day if that.

smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Bella has mild sensitivities to clothing and such, but she is more hypo/seeker. She craves touch. She will not let the teacher or her OT do it though. They are trained. I wish she would. They do other sensory activities with her. She will let them touch her like a hug or pat on the back. Me though, if you touch me unexpectedly I will jump or twitch. I will have very real  visions of pushing people away. So much so that I will stand there wondering if I actually did it. You dont even have to touch me. Just get in my space. Not sure what that is all about! I have seen bella hiss at people for getting too close unexpectedly. Me and her, we are so alike in some areas

Quoting kajira:

see -my son's a kid who'd LAP this kind of a thing up. I can see how something like this would be really helpful for him.

I'm far more anti-touch than he is though. I cant' handle light touches, they make me violent, I feel like I have bugs crawling all over me and I'd become extremely avoidant of the people who'd touch me like that... I'm seriously sitting here remembering them forcing this kind of touch on me as a kid in therapy and it brings back some really, really bad memories I didn't even know I had.... haha

Quoting smarieljlee:

LIMom1105
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, my son's OTs did not recommend it for him, so we haven't done it.  Have you told his therapists that he hates it though?  If he hates it, I really don't know that it's having the effect you want to see. I'm not sure how long you have been doing it though, maybe it takes a little time?  I would definitely communicate with his therapists.  Also, if he was really fighting me on it, I don't know if I'd keep it going.

kajira
by Emma on May. 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM

my son's super big on touch - if it's his idea or he's doing the touching.

I'm very anti touch in general, not super big ON touching or being touched. having kids is one of the best things Iv'e ever done for that anti-touch thing. i get mauled on a lot and I can for the most part, keep from flinching now when my space is invaded by them or my husband. 

I still flinch occasionally and if anyone else outside my family unit tries to touch me, I can't promise I won't take a swing at someone if it's completely unexpected or go into meltdown mode or freak out... so i'm careful and always try to keep my husband between me and others - or, when I had a service dog, I trained my dog to keep everyone at arms length... I'm thinking working on training my bulldog for it - but my dream service dog is a mastiff. ^.^ the slobber alone would keep people away from me... LOL

Quoting smarieljlee:

Bella has mild sensitivities to clothing and such, but she is more hypo/seeker. She craves touch. She will not let the teacher or her OT do it though. They are trained. I wish she would. They do other sensory activities with her. She will let them touch her like a hug or pat on the back. Me though, if you touch me unexpectedly I will jump or twitch. I will have very real  visions of pushing people away. So much so that I will stand there wondering if I actually did it. You dont even have to touch me. Just get in my space. Not sure what that is all about! I have seen bella hiss at people for getting too close unexpectedly. Me and her, we are so alike in some areas

Quoting kajira:

Quoting smarieljlee:

twins0506
by Holly on May. 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM
2 moms liked this
I saw a huge difference with my son. BUT every kid is different. If you have been doing it for 2 months and you see no change and your son still hates it IMO its time to stop. Just like the gfcf diet, what works for some doesn't work for all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
badgermom2012
by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

The therapists I've asked about it do NOT recommend it and say it can make some kids worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN