Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is your child verbal?

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM
  • 53 Replies
Hi :)

I was just curious, for those of you with verbal ASD children, when did they begin to talk?

DS is 2 (not yet dx), and says "mama, dada, & go." I watch him struggle SO hard to get a word out. I have been working with him and yesterday he managed to say "bubble!" :)

Dev. Ped. says he may never talk, but in my heart I don't think that to be the case.

He is in speech therapy once per week. I don't see her doing anything I don't do with him on a daily basis.

Right now it's a "wait and see" game of the worst kind ;( But I let him know everyday that Mommy loves him no matter what!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Yupperz, my little dude is verbal, very much so
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, but he has problems communicating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenmommo
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM
3 moms liked this
Dr Stephen Shore prefers to say pre-verbal versus non-verbal. :)
Don't give up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyCat97
My dd is completely non verbal. She's 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JEmery
My DS wasn't verbal till 3. He said maybe 5 words at 2. It took lots of work on my part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Quote:

"mama, dada, & go." I watch him struggle SO hard to get a word out. I have been working with him and yesterday he managed to say "bubble!"

My son is verbal though he was a late talker too. I would think that if at 2 he is able to say mama dada and bubble, then theres a lot of reason to not give up.

I've read a lot of posts on here about kids being late talkers and then talking up a storm. I just read about a boy who didn't say anything until 5 and now is talking a lot. I'll come back and get you the link.

I would say, don't get down mom, just keep going. :)

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Quoting greenmommo:

Dr Stephen Shore prefers to say pre-verbal versus non-verbal. :)
Don't give up.

Cool.

ROGUEM
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I think the definition of non-verbal is confusing.  To some non-verbal is not able to speak a word and  to others it is not using speech functionally.  Two of my sons are extremely verbal.  My middle son is what I consider speech delayed more than non-verbal because he can talk somewhat but it is limited.  It would not consider him to have funcitonal speech at this point but I can't consider him non-verbal because he can sing long songs and make one to two word requests.   He can say  -  I want a _____.

I think a lot depends on your defintion.  I consider him severely speech delayed vs. Non-verbal. 

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM

My son did not talk until he was 5!  But he hasn't stopped since and he's now 14.   He can now carry on a conversation without prompting and is understood by everyone.  It took a lot of hard work getting him to start but things just seemed to click with him.  At 3 we got him to use some sign language to communicate his wants and needs and then out of the blue when he was 5 he said "juice"  and slowly started adding new words.  Don't give up!  :)

Aspiemom0203
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM
This. He mumbles terribly. He was well over 2 1/2.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Yes, but he has problems communicating.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)