Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Home Schooling A Child with Aspergers

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:16 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son (10) was diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago.  His school set up an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) for him.  This involved weekly visits to the "emotional support" class for small group interaction and we were given a "communication book" which the teacher would write in daily to update us on our son's behavior.

Two years later and we're worn out.  We feel like having an IEP for our son is seen as a huge inconvenience by the school and teachers.  The "communication book" has been reduced to a vehicle used to deliver snide comments about our parenting abilities with statements like we need to teach our son not to run the halls, as if we'd never told him that before.

Recently my son has been in trouble for calling out in class or leaving his seat and walking around the classroom.  No, his behavior is not acceptable.  Yes, I understand that he is being very disruptive.  But is anyone asking why he does these things?  He is extremely bright, especially in math and science.  He reads constantly and has subscriptions to two science/nature magazines.  He calls out because the teacher is covering a subject he already knows about and he is excited.  He leaves his seat because he is so bored in class.  But is there any focus put on his intellectual and academic abilities?  No.  The school seems to prefer mindless compliance.

In another situation, the students were given a test.  as they finished, they were sent one by one into the hall to look at science posters.  My son was reprimanded by four different teachers because he was in the wrong part of the hall and was talking aloud to himself.  But if my son has a well-established history of such disruptive behavior, why was he allowed to go in the hallway without supervision in the first place?  Why didn't any of those four teachers just send him back to his class?

My son's diagnosis changed to Aspergers towards the end of this school year, and it brings up a question for us.  Should my autistic son really be expected to behave like other kids his age?  Will he really ever completely adjust socially?  If we just set aside these behavior issues and social interaction difficulties would be able to create an environment where he can really excel academically?

What issues do other parents run into when it comes to effectively educateing your autistic children?

frustrated

by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kajira
by Emma on May. 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

i would homeschool.

by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 8:07 PM
2 moms liked this

My oldest daughter has ADHD and apsergers tendacies. She isn't diagnosed with anything, and most likely won't be. Anyway, we home school. We have been able to completely design our school day around her quirkiness, and needs to be able to get up when she needs, have a break when she needs, or just not do school on that day if she needs. It has worked so well for her. We are able to focus on behaviors she's having issues with, character traits we want to her to have, and social issues she has. She has been able to overcome a lot since we started realizing there was something not quite right with her, when she was 3. We could never get a doctor to take us seriously, which is why we will not persue a dx for her. 

My 2 year old who has a diagnosis of PDD will also be home schooled. We will make sure she has plenty of social skills type therapies to keep with that, but all her education and therapies will be done at home. 

(edited to fix typo)

Larisa72
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Public schools expect all pegs to fit the same hole, either by the peg complying as they wish, or by force applied to the peg....(square peg, round hole situation).

In our case, the bullying that our son has dealt with in 5th grade and again this year in 6th...and the lack of proper handling by administration (principal is the biggest bully as he kept intrrupting us when we tried to have a meeting with him, belittled our concerns, etc.) have lead us to pull him from the public school system.

Like your son, he has Asperger's (primary diagnosis) and ADHD (secondary diagnosis) in addition to anxiety disorger.....we are using Keystone online middle school for the next 2 years and will revisit the public school vs. homeschool when he is ready to start high school.  Right now, he is saying he doesn't want to go back to the public school system, but again, we will see how he feels after getting through the middle school years.

Our basic thoughts on this is that he will thrive if he is in an environment where there is encouragement and he can learn at his own speed instead of being held to the pace of the other students....as well as  being in a supportive environment which will allow him to learn and grow

amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Welcome.  I've been thinking of homeschooling my son as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN