Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

asperger mom

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son struggles so much in school. Has an IEP but still doesn't get the attention that he needs. He want's to be home schooled, any advice for me ? 

by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 16, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Welcome to the group! I would call an IEP meeting, stating your sons IEP isn't being followed. 

LoveMyLilPeople
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I would homeschool if you have the ability.  I was pretty horrified to see the way aides to autistic children conducted themself when I was a paraprofessional at a middle school here in NH.

windygirl
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

The Aspergers has only been brought up recently. He was diagnosed by a psychologist when he was 11 yrs. old. He is currently not being treated for this and we no longer see that doctor. Should I reaffirm this diag. with a new doctor ? I think he needs to be on meds for this because I see signs of depression in him. My husband of course doesn't agree with me!!! Former Marine thinks he could do better if he just tries harder!

amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Set up an IEP review meeting.  You may need to make changes to his current plan and find a way to be sure that it's being followed as written.

jordiesmom05
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I would get the IEP reviewed like the other moms said. I would address the depression with his doctor. My son's therapist said that depression and anxiety were the most important things I should be concerned about with my son.

I would never be able to homeschool my son, but a lot of moms on here do. So far, my son loves school and the structure is good for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)