Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

looping

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM
  • 10 Replies
I got a letter from my 1st graders class. It said. That his current 1st grade teacher would be looping with her class next year for 2nd grade. Looping is when a teacher teaches the same students for the next grade level. So as the students move up the the next grade they have the same teacher. I thought this was interesting. My home room teacher did this when I was in high-school. The note explained that studies have shown looping to be beneficial to students to transition back to work be more comfortable. I liked this idea. My son has social anxiety. So starting a new school year with a new teacher would be so stressful for him. He is comfortable with his current teacher. I asked him if he would like to have his current teacher next year and he said yes. Has anyone heard or done this before?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jax3
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

We havent done this...thank goodness because my son hated his teacher!

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I could see how this would be beneficial to a child with autism as long as they liked the teacher.  It would be a nightmare if they didn't.  lol

myfirstborn04
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM
I'm not to crazy about her. My son like her so ad long as he likes her I will roll with it. I do hope your son gets a better teacher next year. :)

Quoting jax3:

We havent done this...thank goodness because my son hated his teacher!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfirstborn04
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Well yeah a total nightmare! It was an option. If you wanted to have yourchild loop next year you simply had to fill out the form giving your permissionor you could decline the offer. If he didn't want to I'd decline.:)

Quoting Austinsmom4544:

I could see how this would be beneficial to a child with autism as long as they liked the teacher.  It would be a nightmare if they didn't.  lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My 12 yr old typical child would scream if this happened to him atleast this yr.  He cannot stand his teacher and is counting down the days :)

myfirstborn04
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM
That would be me in middle. For some reason middle school was just torture for me. The teachers I had were awful. I loved high school though.lol

Quoting Austinsmom4544:

My 12 yr old typical child would scream if this happened to him atleast this yr.  He cannot stand his teacher and is counting down the days :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a teacher for 2nd grade and again 3rd grade, i got bored during 3rd grade, because it was alot the same so then i switched classes.

hwifeandmom
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My 13yr ASD son did this from 4th to 5th grade.  The school didn't say they were looping; they just transitioned the teacher and kept my son and several of the students in the same class.  At the start of 4th grade, my son and the teacher got off to a rough start, and we thought we were going to have to change teachers.  After 2-3 weeks, though, my son understood the teacher better and said he didn't want to change teachers.  He was thrilled when he learned that he'd have the same teacher for 5th grade because he already knew her and didn't have to get to know another teacher (or have another teacher get to know him).  He didn't feel like he was doing all the same stuff he did in 4th grade, and he really appreciated the familiarity in routines, etc.  For us, it was a good thing.

smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter ended up having her K teacher for a sub often this year. Those days were her best by far. Her K teacher retired and filled in for first grade all the time. I do like her teachers though. I am nervous about who will be picker for her next year. I definitely have my preferences.

ROGUEM
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Both my sons with autism had teachers that moved up with them this year from last year.  It was wonderful for them.   

I think it is nice if it is a great teacher.  On the other hand if the teacher is awful or  if your child doesn't click with the teacher then it can be just an extension of a bad thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)