Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

chewing

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM
  • 31 Replies

My son David chews on his clothing, his blankets, his toes nails, his finger nails. He is doing it more and more these days. All hos shirts are chewed rough and full of holes. If he didn't only have 3 weeks left of school I'd have to buy new school shirts. Is this sensory? I'm at a loss for words. What can I do about it? Any advise or anyone else's kids having these issues?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dereksmom1018
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

my son is 3 1/2 and he gnawed his crib like a beaver! very strange. he will be in a toddler bed before the end of the month

jax3
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, its oral sensory.  They need the feedback the chewing is giving them.
My son 9 still chews. He wears a chewy 'P' around his neck on a lanyard and chews like mad when hes stressed or anxious.  

myfirstborn04
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Never heard of it. So there are things you can buy for this? I'm going to have to look stuff up. Thank you

Quoting jax3:

My son 9 still chews. He wears a chewy 'P' around his neck on a lanyard and chews like mad when hes stressed or anxious.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on May. 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I still chew on stuff.... ^.^ I had a tongue ring to appease my oral sensory stuff until my dentist made me take it out for ruining my teeth because I played with it *too* much.

now I chew on pens... gum.

Gum's probably the biggest.

Quoting jax3:

greenmommo
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I used to bite through pencils. Now I chew on gum. If I have nothing I grind my teeth and have split a few apart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfirstborn04
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM
gum is a good idea. Just hope he doesn't swallow it. :)

Quoting greenmommo:

I used to bite through pencils. Now I chew on gum. If I have nothing I grind my teeth and have split a few apart.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jax3
by on May. 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi...Oh yeah, they sell stuff. Chewy Ps, Chewy Qs.  You can get them from Amazon.com among other places.   They are made from some pretty sturdy stuff.  I prefer the Ps but you might want to try other things.  They also have ones that vibrate - those didnt work for my son.  
Also, my son loves to chew on toothbrushes...those are cheap :)! 

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM
2 moms liked this

ya it is sensory, i would try to give him gum or a chewy tubeĀ 

jordiesmom05
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, my son chews on his shirts, blanket, and jackets. I give a washcloth to chew on when I see him doing it at home. He does not want any of the chewelry. It kind of goes in phases. He has not been chewing much lately.  

kajira
by Emma on May. 16, 2012 at 10:49 PM

For the record - if your kiddo won't keep gum *in* their mouth - gum may be a bad choice.

my son stuck gum *in* his ear tonight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)