Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

ipad help

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

We bought Bells an ipad for her birthday. She has been begging for one for forever. So you know the drill. What apps to get?

She is supposed to be learning how to use the keyboard. Fine motor, reading and organizational tools would be great. Fun educational games. Drawing?

General advice on how to make the most of it are so welcome!!!

by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marisab
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM

BUMP!

ROGUEM
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I will look tomorrow at the apps the boys use the most.  They hook you with the Lite series of the learning ones which are free.  Then you have to pay to get the complete app.  My boys are always begging for apps...LOL

I think the ipad is hands down the best thing I have ever bought them.  But I have to limit their Angry Birds games time because they are all hooked on that game...uggh.  But it is a good re enforcer.  I will say 20 min on the multiplication app and then 20 Angry Bird minutes.  They will do it in a heartbeat.

Kittie26
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM

We just got an ipad for Aly as well. I'm starting with coloring (Color and Draw HD is free!) and books so she can learn the technology, but other than that I'm looking for a good choice board and any other recommendations as well.

my3breaths
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:47 PM
If you search Duck Duck Moose in the app store, they are all great apps. Also, monkey preschool lunchbox, the social express (I've only got the lite version) is good for a little bit older kids. Teach me (we have 1st grade) but they come in other grades, tangrams, bug squash (helps w/ dexterity) pocket phonics, and tally tots. Most of these are good learning games but the great thing about the iPad is almost all games help with dexterity and fine motor :) Hope these help. There is also an app called AutismApps, it is a list app that is filled with different apps that help with autism. So you can open the app and scroll through toxins different things as well that link to the app store!
my3breaths
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM
I'm assuming she is young but if I just gave you a list of apps way below her grade level, I apologize :)
smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM

She is turning 7. Thanks!

Thanks Michelle! We sort of waffled, but decided it was worth it. I actually bought an ipod this afternoon and realized it is so small, she would get frustrated easily. I was myself!

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I haven't gotten my son his own iPad yet, but he ueses mine a lot! 

The apps he has are: 
  • Brain Pop - Informative, cute, and funny videos and quizes. 
  • Music Sparkles - You get a couple instraments in the free version, but you can buy more individualy or get the complete app. 
  • Spelling 1-2 - Great spelling app imo. Only one draw back, once you get all the rewards, you can't reset, you have to uninstall and reinstall to be able to earn rewards again.
  • Splash Math - You can get this for grades 2-5 and my son loves it.
  • Math Blaster - another fun math app that has my son doing quick additions and subtractions
  • Dexteria - Fine motor app. Some are fun, some are hard. 

For games that he enjoys:

•  iMazing - an app for nothing but mazes. around 20 levels and each level gets more and more difficult. Works wonders for fine motor also, as the levels get higher, the paths get thiner.
  • Newton's Cradle - He is just fasinated by this lol
  • Transport Jigsaw Puzzles - He is bad with puzzles, so this lets him do some in his terms lol
  • Airport Mania - *shrugs* he enjoys it, good challenge for him
  • Angry Birds - I gave in.... lol

Simply put, this is me:
Einfach Nervös Gemacht Mutti

smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Thanks!! good stuff

twins0506
by Holly on May. 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Oh I'm no help. We have all preschool games. Elmo, a colors one... A few others.
NatureMomof3
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Get "AutismApps" -- it is free and it reviews MANY apps and a number of them have video reviews so you can see how the app works before you buy it. Some that my kids love:

Chore Pad - good for positive reinforcement and rewards (it's like an electronic sticker chart completely customizable)

Dexteria - OT fine motor

SpellBoard - can put in spelling words

Splash Math

Cat physics

tinkerBox

Feel Electric - great for teaching about emotions and feelings

Toontastic - make your own cartoon

Dragon

Countdown (highlights

Puzzlejuice

Telling Time

Puzzle Planets

GlowColoring

Cut the Rope

Jelly Doodle

DinosaurChess

Ricket Math

iMazing

Where's my water

Paint with time

Monster Soup

Stack the States

Stack the countries

Sight. . . Touch

Educreations

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN