Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Am i worried for nothing .....

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM
  • 11 Replies
I have a almost 4 yr old son who is diagnosed with ASD. He was diagmosed at 2 1/2. He is currently receiving ABA therapy and is making great progress. Here is my question, i have a 17 1/2 month old son. We took him to dr and dr noted the fact he o.ly says mama and dada. I take him next month to his primary care dr for his 18 mo check up. Should i have him referred already. Both my sons are adopted so. we hav e no medical history on either. People tell me ots too soon, but im worried. What do u think?
by on May. 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfirstborn04
by on May. 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM
I had the same concerns of my son he at 17 months only said da da. He is 22 months now and he says about 8 words. He OS super smart and mainly communicats through gestures. I have a 8 yr old with asd and yep other border line asd. I wonder should I ask for a evaluation now or wait till hos 24 month check up. Best of luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenmommo
by on May. 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM
3 moms liked this
If you have concerns, the earlier the treatment starts, the better. I would ask your ped for a referral
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mord
by on May. 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Follow your gut, you are momma & are concerned..get the referral.

marisab
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM

about 18 mos was when they strated to notice things in my son i would call your local birth to 3 early intervention program and get him wvaled through them first if he is they well help you

badgermom2012
by on May. 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM

It's not too soon.  An 18 month old should be saying more than mama and dada.  Why wait?  

kajira
by Emma on May. 19, 2012 at 3:55 PM

my almost 18 month old babbles more than she talks - but she was saying 3 word sentences at 1... she's been cutting a ton of teeth and been sick - and her language has regressed which is normal/common at this age if other milestones are advancing.

She's still communicating, but she's talking less and focusing more on figuring out how to tell us she wants to go potty.

I noticed that instead of using 3-4 word sentences with the words she knew really well at 1 - she no longer says sentences, but she's got like 30 new words and is trying new words out daily... but one at a time.

Since the amount has greatly improved - I wasn't worried so much about her regressing on the sentence part since she's filling in her vocabularly.

I also don't talk verbally very much - so I've been telling my husband he has to make a point to use sentences with her and teach her how to use them. LOL

Quoting badgermom2012:

It's not too soon.  An 18 month old should be saying more than mama and dada.  Why wait?  

marisab
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

just get the referral but stay calm they tried to say my daughter had issues cause she wasnt caraweling fast enough but now we cant stop her amaybe its the same what ever the out com e we well be here for you!!

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, you may have nothing to worry about but it can't hurt to find out now.  :)

Quoting greenmommo:

If you have concerns, the earlier the treatment starts, the better. I would ask your ped for a referral

Leobaby2007
by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Not too soon to be "concerned", IMO. I agree with badgermom that an 18 month old should have more words by now. I know all kids are different, but I had at least 38 single words by 18 months, and while I always assumed that was "average", I have since been told by SLPs that it was actually adavnced to have so many words at such a young age.

Still, only 2 words at 18 months? That's not to say anything is "wrong", but if it were me, I would have the EI team come out and evaluate ASAP. I would not wait.

marisab
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN