Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Good Times. I think. LOL!

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:28 AM
  • 5 Replies

We had a lovely trip to St. Andrews Aquarium on Saturday.  It was so much fun.  Jake got to touch a star fish.  Poor star fish lol.  He just shocked me by reaching in there and grabbed it like it was no big thing and then proceded to pretend that it was a steering wheel or something.  The whole time I am trying not to look too freaked out you know cause he is touching this weird icky looking thing. lol.

Anyway!

At the end of it all we went to the gift shop to get some souviners to take home and all was going great until I looked down to see my little Jake lining up all the toys from the display on the floor.  The little guy was lying on the floor looking at all the toys from the corner of his eye.  I started to put the toys back and then he grabs one truck and runs like India Jones from the giant ball right out of the shop with me chasing him down and praying silently in my head that they don't call the police.  Please please please.  lol.  Anyway I grabbed him and brought him back to the shop and we did get him the truck.  I know that probably seems wrong to get it for him anyway but I don't think that he was purposely being bad he just doesn't understand that we have to pay for it first and that he has to stay with me and not take off like that.  I should probably mention he is only 3 and has classic autism and is still non-verbal.  Anyway all in all we had a lot of fun and eventhough it sounds a bit hectic at the end I don't mind cause he keeps my life interesting. lol.

Happy Victoria Day everyone!

by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
marisab
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Johny is also classic autism and is still mostly non verbala nd alota hand leading but he is starting to express his needs so i know what ya mean he probly just decided that wa sthe one he wanted.so iw ould get it to but tell him next time take it to mommy eventually hell get it

Inglefay
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM

ya I didn't explain it to him I guess I just figure he won't understand but I should start making a point of explaining things more often.  I do talk to him all the time but I just get the feeliing that he doesn't get what I am saying a lot of the time.  It is hard to know for sure when he is still none verbal.

brilliantchaos
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Sounds like a fun day overall! It was my Jake just turned 3 in September and he is only verbal as of February. I explained everything over and over again even when I wasn't sure he understood... sometimes only to model language..lol. He'll get it eventually, or at least the routine of it. =)

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM

sounds like a fun day! Ya we went out yesterday and had a good day, there were definitely moments but I look for the good ones and know it was a good day! 

Dereksmom1018
by on May. 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

i got a chuckle about you describing your son as doing the corner of his eye thing....my son does the same thing when he lines up his trains on the tracks!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN