Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

cousins (kind of ot)

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM
  • 8 Replies

Most of you know already, but My son is 5 he has Autistic Disorder he is mostly non verbal and has a few words.  My sister, brother in law and their 2 kids Vincent is 11 and Emily is 9,  live 2 hours away closer my parents.  My sister is very busy and even when I do go visit she doesn't visit very much.  When I was a kid I was close to my cousins even if I didn't see them all the time.  When we get together Aiden kind of does his own thing, once in a while for a minute I can get my nephew to tickle him but that's like a few minutes.  How can I get them to play together and like feel closer, and like try harder to get his attention or is that asking too much?  Even though my son stays to himself at gatherings he loves attention just as much as they do.  He loves being by other kids and I just feel like I can get them to try harder? or is this just how it's gonna be? am I even making sence LOL

My son is close to my niece Jocelyn (DH's Sister's daughter) who is 18 and totally relates and plays with her.  They eat snacks together and watch movies, or he watches her play video games etc.  I guess I just want that for his other cousins too? 

So basically my questions are how can I encourage them to play more?  Does anyone relate?  

by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Alma4Mom
by on May. 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM

We are showing my nephews ages 2-8 4 of them to play with our ASD boy and out of state cousins adore him as well they have volunteered at his Sensory Playgroup as mentors we want to always encourage our kids to accept others but especially our Daniel that although he may ignore and push away at times he enjoys the attention it makes him feel special =)

HFBMOM
by Julie on May. 22, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I think it's an age thing. The older the cousins are, and your son is, the more likely they will have something in common. There is a big age difference between my kids and their cousins, and now that the cousins are in their 20's, they are more interested in getting to know my 10 and 13 year old kids.

twins0506
by Holly on May. 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM

i agree with the others. there is a big age difference so its going to be hard to encourage that. my nephew is 9 and my boys are 3 so getting them to play together is like pulling teeth. once in a while i will ask him to help them with the playdoh and he will on his own start playing with them. so maybe you can do that. find something they all like (coloring? playdoh?) and have them sit at the table together. 

Russell4607
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM

My son's cousins don't want to play with him much either because of his issues but they can come down to his level too and include him he is family and we are not going to exclude him from summer get togethers at my grandma's. They can all play together and I would incourage them to do so.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM

thanks everybody I think i'll try to get them involved more, but i'll try not to be disappointed and just try try again :) 

LadyOsgood
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM

My family all live within 30 min of each other for the exception on one brother (military and stationed in GA right now). I see everyone during holidays. My parents didn't even come to Zoey's K4 graduation. I have no idea how to encourage closeness...

RockinMama0608
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I am not much help  :(  My kids' cousins live across the country and don't get to see each other.  My sister and I both married military guys so we are always so far apart.  When she visits my mom, I am unable to and vice versa. 

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on May. 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM

my nieces bday party is monday my sister asked me yesterday if we could go.  a little late notice plus my hubby doenst want to drive out there. booo. we just went to that area 2 times this month already thats why.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN