Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

It is official.......great day!

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM
  • 21 Replies

We have the official dx - PDD-NOS.  He has Asperger's traits, but the neuropsychologist did not see repetitive movement at that time (Mike's Stims are chewing or cracking knuckles).  So he could not say definitive Aspergers.  So yesterday was a great day (I am validated...my son is not a willful and manipulative child...he has processing issues!!!). 

The icing on the cake was Mike lost his first tooth yesterday!  Yes he is 8 1/2.......:)

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jnc91
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM
That's great news you've finally have an answer. I thought aspergers didn't necessarily need to stim?
kajira
by Emma on May. 26, 2012 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

he's adorable.

And I'm glad you got something. My son stims in so many ways I can't even begin to list them, but some are subtle... like licking his lips, rolling his head around, etc. (and if you ask him what he's doing he'll come up with an excuse for the behavior - like "oh, I was just stretching my neck...." - For 25 minutes while staring at a light and bobbing your head in circles?! yeah... okay! sure whatever you say buddy!!! LOL)

Anyways.... I'm glad you got a label that makes sense and validates your concerns so you can move forward.

I want ours over with so we can move on too!!!. 

kajira
by Emma on May. 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

the problem is every doctor will have their own criteria.... so even if some with aspergers don't stim - other doctors would feel that disqualifies it.

Quoting Jnc91:

That's great news you've finally have an answer. I thought aspergers didn't necessarily need to stim?

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on May. 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM

JNC91 - 

He doesnt flap his hands - a "traditional stim".  He cracks his knuckles or chews on objects.  Most noticed during times of stress - like at school.  He is accused of "flipping people off" because he cracks his knuckles on his face...starting wiht the middle finger. 

Quoting kajira:

the problem is every doctor will have their own criteria.... so even if some with aspergers don't stim - other doctors would feel that disqualifies it.

Quoting Jnc91:

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

kajira
by Emma on May. 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

omg my son has been yelled at by the school so many times for flipping kids off when playing with his fingers. LOL

Quoting Hottubgodess:

JNC91 - 

He doesnt flap his hands - a "traditional stim".  He cracks his knuckles or chews on objects.  Most noticed during times of stress - like at school.  He is accused of "flipping people off" because he cracks his knuckles on his face...starting wiht the middle finger. 

Quoting kajira:

Quoting Jnc91:

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on May. 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I'll keep him!  :) 

I am counting down with you.  :) 

Quoting kajira:

he's adorable.

And I'm glad you got something. My son stims in so many ways I can't even begin to list them, but some are subtle... like licking his lips, rolling his head around, etc. (and if you ask him what he's doing he'll come up with an excuse for the behavior - like "oh, I was just stretching my neck...." - For 25 minutes while staring at a light and bobbing your head in circles?! yeah... okay! sure whatever you say buddy!!! LOL)

Anyways.... I'm glad you got a label that makes sense and validates your concerns so you can move forward.

I want ours over with so we can move on too!!!. 

Jnc91
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Quoting Hottubgodess:

Ahh. I get it. My son shrugs his shoulders and she noticed a tongue movement? But she didn't say they were Stims. Just mentioned them. The shrug has been present a year? And eye blinkig and grimaces off and On. He is just being Watched for possible aspergers.
kajira
by Emma on May. 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

our son blinks weird, having all sorts of weird tics doesn't mean they are stims - stims are something used generally to make themselves feel better.

my son flaps, spins in circles, hops, and does all sorts of super obvious ones that if you catch him doing them and ask him why, his answer is simply "because it makes me happy" LOL

Quoting Jnc91:

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Ahh. I get it. My son shrugs his shoulders and she noticed a tongue movement? But she didn't say they were Stims. Just mentioned them. The shrug has been present a year? And eye blinkig and grimaces off and On. He is just being Watched for possible aspergers.

HFBMOM
by Julie on May. 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Yay for a diagnoses! Congrats! And even more so... now the fun with the tooth fairy begins. Yippee!

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats!  I'm sure a weight has been lifted off of your shoulders to finally have some validation :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)