Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

saw this on facebook and wanted to discuss...

Posted by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:30 PM
  • 56 Replies

"AUTISM FACT: Many people on the Autism Spectrum have DELAYED Auditory Processing. What this means in plain English is that often it can take up to 20-30 seconds or more for someone on the Spectrum to process what you have said to them or asked them, before they can then think about and prepare their reply. Often if we don't get an answer straight away we think they haven't heard us or are ignoring us. We then ask again, perhaps more loudly or in a different way to get a response. Then they are trying to process two instructions/information at once. We then ask again...and so on, which can lead to much confusion and anxiety which can then lead to behavioural issues or a meltdown or panic response. We need to SLOW DOWN and let them take the time to respond to us. Ask a question and WAIT for a reply. If all School Teachers were aware of this simple fact then we may just have less issues at school. The Police, other emergency service providers and basically everyone (!) should also know about this when dealing with people with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Please share."

This is one of the many reasons i would rather text with people or chat with them online and NOT talk on the phone. I take about 20 seconds to process things and prefer to have time to process them and NOT leave someone in silence while I am trying to do it. The people I do talk to on the phone reguarly understand this - which is a short list of my mom, dad, dh & one of my best friends. Everyone else I consciously choose to not "chat" with on the phone but prefer to text or converse online.

Can anyone relate? discuss... 

by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on May. 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG THAT IS SOOOOO ME - only had 5 minutes to that.

I sometimes take 30 seconds and sometimes will be 20 minutes behind depending on the inforamtion and how well my brain's working, when and how it's said.... 

LOL I have this conversation on a regular basis with my husband to *slow* down and let me keep up with him.

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on May. 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. My mind goes a mile a minute but my mouth is farther behind. Locked in my head KWIM? We just discovered this with Mike - it is one of his lead problems with sensory.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM

i have that convo with dh sometimes...there are definitley sources of info that take much longer then the 30 seconds for me to process too..

Quoting kajira:

OMG THAT IS SOOOOO ME - only had 5 minutes to that.

I sometimes take 30 seconds and sometimes will be 20 minutes behind depending on the inforamtion and how well my brain's working, when and how it's said.... 

LOL I have this conversation on a regular basis with my husband to *slow* down and let me keep up with him.

mallowcup17
by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

ya my mind is always ahead of my mouth. 

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Yep. My mind goes a mile a minute but my mouth is farther behind. Locked in my head KWIM? We just discovered this with Mike - it is one of his lead problems with sensory.

Hilary799
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Dh gets very aggravated at ds over this. I can't explain to him. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM

try showing this to him...i hope your able to explain it to him so he understands and is more compassionate about it...

Quoting Hilary799:

Dh gets very aggravated at ds over this. I can't explain to him. :(

Hilary799
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM
I have done this and the counselor and the dr. Nothing works
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cubanmom84
by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Yep my son takes a few min to be able to process a thought, if you ask him something or to do something i always tell ppl to give him a min cause he will respond but he needs to process it. And when he is excited or agitated is nearly impossible for him to process a ANYTHING. LOL

mallowcup17
by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

thats how i and my sd are too. if we get distracted with other emotions forget it...lol

Quoting Cubanmom84:

Yep my son takes a few min to be able to process a thought, if you ask him something or to do something i always tell ppl to give him a min cause he will respond but he needs to process it. And when he is excited or agitated is nearly impossible for him to process a ANYTHING. LOL

smarieljlee
by Sara on May. 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Makes perfect sense. I have been thinking a lot about this for myself. DH is so quick to get annoyed with me when he asks a question. He will give me literally 2 seconds and ask again and again. Each time growing more frustrated thinking I am ignoring him. So I automatically say I dont know. It is the argument we have most frequently. If you give me a minute I will surely come up with an awesome response. lol

I laugh, but really it pisses me off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)