Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

aspergers

Posted by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

my son is 12 year old, 7th grade,high functioning autism. was severely bullied and isolated from his peers to the point i had to pull him out of school. the school did nothing to help my son, but victimize my son. there are very options for me in regards to placement. I feel like my only choice would be to send him back to the school in September, which im terrified to do. does any one know of a good advocacy.

by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
brilliantchaos
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM
What state are you in? A lot of states have good advocates that do income based fees. I had good luck googling for the information. I'd be happy to help you look.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Do you work? Would you consider homeschooling?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by Gold Member on May. 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM

where do u live?

Dereksmom1018
by on May. 29, 2012 at 5:50 AM

have you made the school guidance counselor and principal aware?

maxxyout
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM
I live in Poughkeepsie ny, and yes guidance and principal were aware, I went through every chain of command even the super attendant , and still got no help. The bullying continued to get worse. In order for my son to go to another school we would have to move, cause neighboring districts do not accept out of districts kids:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by Jackie on May. 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Time to file a state complaint.  In Michigan, bullying is treated with little compassion to the bully - I would know because my son was punished as one for saying "I'm gonna kill you" to two boys who were bullying him.  They picked on him every time he was in the classroom.  So he ended up in ISS.  It was when I pointed out what was happening that somethign was done to the bullies. 

In your case, you need to go to the state.  You do have options.  And if you state has a policy like Michigan, maybe your school district can pay for private schools (that will require the help of an attorney)  Dont give up. 

Quoting maxxyout:

I live in Poughkeepsie ny, and yes guidance and principal were aware, I went through every chain of command even the super attendant , and still got no help. The bullying continued to get worse. In order for my son to go to another school we would have to move, cause neighboring districts do not accept out of districts kids:(

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

maxxyout
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Thank you all for your reply, at this point I do have a lawyer and is working on either providing the right program for my son, and speaking with other neighboring districts to see if it will be right for him. I think he needs a new start
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)