Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I wish I could get into her brain...

Posted by   + Show Post
I am sitting here waiting for R to go to sleep. She keeps saying "this one too hot." but can't tell me what she means. She finally gave up saying it. I know she is frustrated, and I am just sad that I don't understand. She starts behavior therapy next week some time with EI. I hope we see progress quickly. She is really smart, even if they say she's cognitively delayed (I really wish I understood what that means).

We just had a baby 9 days ago. It took her three days to go near her sister. Now she loves her sister and always wants to hold her or kiss her...until the baby cries or I take off her clothes and R sees the umbilical stump (which is almost off, yay). We are also moving next week. I really hope all this change doesn't cause R major issues.

I love my little girl just the way she is, but I really wish she didn't have to go through all this. My poor baby has been laughed at pretty much her whole life just because she started wearing glasses at 5 months and an eye patch. It amazes me how mean people can be to an infant. I worry how her future is going to be. Is she going to have to deal with the meanness of people for the rest of her life?

Sorry for the random ramblings. I just got sad when I couldn't understand what R meant, and I really have no one to talk to about this. Thanks for reading.
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Replies (21-21):
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 10:13 PM
While it looks like she has a lot of wonderful speech with large phrasing, it is all echolalic speech. She repeats phrases she hears others say. When she does use spontaneous language, it comes out a jumbled mess of a few mumbled words and mostly babble. Granted she is able to use her echolalic speech in context. She is unable to have back and forth conversation unless it is yes or no questions.

The reason she is considered cognitively delayed is because at the time of EI testing her cognitive abilities stopped at 14month abilities. She was 22 months old at the time. She is now 2 years 3 months and her dev. ped. put her her overall development at 18 months and speech at 15 months.

While she is able to match colors and shapes with help after 3 months of once a month therapy and my workibg with her more focused, she is unable to tell me verbally, with more than 10% accuracy (shapes she gets about 5-10% of the time and colors not at all). She is just now pointing to pictures in books, as long as the question is phrased right. If you say "where is the duck?" she'll stare at you like you've lost your mind, but if you say "can you touch the duck" she'll touch the duck. If i point and say "what is this" about 15% of the time she can verbally tell me, but will almost always repeat the word back to me when i say it.

She is very much like having a one year old rather than a two year old.

The reason i say that i wish i understood what a cognitive delay meant is because cognition is an abstract thing. Is it how she learns, her ability to retain what she learns, her ability to just learn?

I have no doubt that therapy will enable her to catch up and learn to communicate effectively. Her dev. ped. said that in a few years with therapy she will be doing well enough for other doctors to question his dx, but he said she will always have trouble in social situations.

Right now at 2, she doesn't even parallel play, which would be develomentally normal. She plays completely by herself. She will join the group if an adult brings her in. If she does go near other kids she gets right in their face and stares at them. She will sometimes babble something at them, but for the most part just stares and walks away.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

How can they say she's cognitively delayed? She just said a 4 word sentence and was communicating well, i think, for a 2 yr old!

I would accept all the therapy of course, but in my mind, I would call BS on their "cognitively delayed" crap.

No one can give an IQ test to a 2 yr old anyways. With a lot of help and work (therapy and otherwise), I think she'll be just fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)