Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

*NEWBIE* Here (Mommy to a 2 yr old w/ possible Autism)

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey Guys!

My son Jake just turned 2 and right now he is getting speech therapy twice a week through early intervention. Through testing, they scored Jake at a 50% speech delay & a 30% social delay. We are currently awaiting a thorough Autism eval. but according to his M-Chat he has some markers already, (I know having some markers isnt a diagnosis)

I am freaked out, and the more stuff I read I am certain my LO has Autism.

I joined this group as a way to cope with the anxiety of not knowing, and to meet mommies going through the same thing as me!

Do any moms in here have a 2 yr old who has already been diagnosed or is currently being tested for Autism?

by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
melissarose72
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM

....he did not wake up one day & start talking in sentences (like some stories I've heard over the years). The road from non-verbal and not pointing to words was a slow one. But a lot of therapy & an early start in special ed preschool have really helped. We've had some wonderful therapists & teachers along the way, who really seem to care about him.

He's still delayed enough to need to be in an autism type class next year, but the goal is towards regular classes when he's ready. He does things in his own time & in his own way. He's a handful, but so much fun. Just remember to celebrate the little steps (when my son finally started calling me mama, when he told me (in his own way) that he wanted to play simon says with me, when he finally showed us he could drink thru a straw), etc. It's taking joy in the little steps that make the tough days easier to work thru.

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM

welcome , glad you are here , my son is 12- ASD and ADHD , hearing loss , we homeschool

missmonkey80
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Just to update, my son Jake was diagnosed with Classic Autism on July 30.

greenmommo
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Welcome to the group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shugerbit
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM
My son will be 2 on Saturday and was diagnosed 4 months ago he is nonverbal and has no gestures, he has been in ST for 6 months and ABA for 2 months now. Still no speech but you learn to appreciate the little steps. He is getting better with eye contact and is starting to learn to point which are major things.
philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM

the time between when you suspect something is wrong and when it is confirmed is one of the scarriest times.  Its ok to be nervous and scared.  goodluck (and sometimes too much info is bad emotionally....i know i was googling the heck out of symptoms and it drove me crazy!)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi there, My name is Brenda. My 2 year old son was diagnosed PDD-NOS back in July. I know what you mean about being freaked out about the dx. It was hard for me to accept it at first. Even before his eval. I knew what the answer was but having his doctor give me a name for it just made it real. My son is lucky to already have gotten Early Intervention once a week at home through the state. He also gets speech 2 times a week and occupational therary once a week. We have an ABA that comes to our house 2 hours a day 5 days a week. If there is one thing I can tell you is be your child's biggest advocate. Fight for the therapies that he needs. I have found that this group of ladies are very helpful when you ask questions. They speak from experience and that is something that is really important. Welcome to the group

Jenalide
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Welcome to the group.  I have a daignosed son that is almost 2 1/2.  He was flagged for screening at his 2 year well check by his pediatrician.  Through his evals, they did decide he is on the spectrum.  We were getting various services for early intervention in the state birth to  3 program (13 hours a week in our home).  We thought he made progress, but weren't seeing the gains we had hoped for after 3 months.  We found private therapy, which we are paying for, but it has been worth every penny.  Not sure how we will continue with the  rates... we are just taking it one month at a time, and will take out a loan when we need to... Through this program, we have seen such signifiicant changes and gains - family and friends have been commenting about how happy and vocal he has become.  We are able to do things with him now that we have avoided for a year!

I felt that the unknown was the worst!  Once you have answers, it will give you an idea of where you need to go.   Even though I suspected it for months prior to his 2 year appt, and I knew he was going through all of the evals... I watched him struggle and knew what they would say... it was still very hard to hear professionals confirm it for me.  It hit me like a ton of bricks for a day - then I had to get to work!  I know I am his best advocate!  I will fight for whatever is best for him, and won't stop until we are getting it!  I am sure you will feel the same way! 

Wishing you the very best of luck - through the unknown times, and when you get answers... whatever they may be. 

Jenalide
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Quoting missmonkey80:

Just to update, my son Jake was diagnosed with Classic Autism on July 30.

How are you doing with the information? I hope you were able to get some added services for him, which will help you and your family.

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM

My son is now 2 and 1/4 and was diagnosed PDD-NOS at 19 months back in January of 2012.  You are doing great already having him in some therapies and that will really help you get more a lot quicker than if you had to start from scratch. 

It is so tough hearing that "final ruling" on your child even if you were pretty sure going in, it's like that last bit of hope that you were just making a lot out of nothing is extinguished.  So don't feel bad if you need to grieve and scream and realize that it takes time to get to acceptance, and taking YOUR time doesn't hurt your kid.  You're already getting him what he needs, make sure you do the same for yourself at the same time! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)