Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism sucks

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM
  • 33 Replies
Sitting in the car in tears w my 13 year old autistic son. Rest of the family is up at a wedding. He went up to a disfigured man and said something rude ro him and the father of the bride layed into him and when we apologized and explained about his autism he of course didn't understand. Thing is he has a multiply impaired child himself. This disability that people can't see sucks! My other son is the ring bearer so as soon as the festivities are done my hubby will join me and we can go home and hide.
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twins0506
by Holly on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I'm so sorry :( you would think if the man had a special needs child himself he would understand but apparently not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry this happened.  Everybody's tense at a wedding, and that makes things worse.  I agree that it's hard to have a child who looks "normal" but doesn't act in the expected way. 

At my BIL's wedding a few years ago, DS couldn't sit still and the two of us were running all over the park (it was an outdoor wedding) and everyone was staring disapprovingly.  And then we went and sat in the car, after my MIL told me that she would never ever help me with my son.  Not that I had asked for her help, she just threw that insult in for free! 

Things will get better.  Your son will get better at social interactions, even when they don't make total sense to him.  You are doing a great thing for your son by getting him out to events.  Even when they don't go well, he is still learning. 

unusualmom
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Im sorry this happened.  It happens a lot.  
My 2 asd boys are older now.  I just deal with my boys and not even worry about other people.  If my boys say something out of place, I apologize for them...or make them apologize.  I dont tell the other people they have autism anymore...those people dont care, they just think its an idle excuse anyway.  
Chin up...dont worry about other people. 

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM
((Hugs)) I'm sorry......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shell3m
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM

omg!  that sucks!!  I'm so sorry.  Dean has done that to me too and it's never easy.  eeeekkkkk!!!

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM

((Hugs Mama)) 

Momof5Boys610
by Ann on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM
I am sorry. That's so hard. :-(

Hugs
Cubanmom84
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Yes... it sucks big butt.... I feel like sometimes we have either hide from people or just keep explaining and explaining to people so when ur done explaining they look at your like your nuts.... its frustrating. I don't know if is a good thing that I don't like crowds or a bad thing, cause he likes people, he likes being around people... i don't... cause am conscious of the fact that they are looking at him with either wonder "his not a monkey" or they are looking at me with "wtf?" face or "i feel so bad for you face". 

mallowcup17
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM

((hugs))

Jersey_class
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM
6 moms liked this

autism isn't what sucks, it's the ignorant people who don't take the time to attempt to understand that sucks <3 hugs xox

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)