Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
Sitting in the car in tears w my 13 year old autistic son. Rest of the family is up at a wedding. He went up to a disfigured man and said something rude ro him and the father of the bride layed into him and when we apologized and explained about his autism he of course didn't understand. Thing is he has a multiply impaired child himself. This disability that people can't see sucks! My other son is the ring bearer so as soon as the festivities are done my hubby will join me and we can go home and hide.
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Replies (31-33):
thatislife
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I appreciate all of the supportive words.  It has helped me with this a lot!  I still am replaying what I would have liked to have said or letters I would like to write.  One to the man with the disabled son who was laying into mine about his hypocrisy, ignorance, and sad days that happen when these kids with disabilities become teens and a lot of the compassion falls out.  One to the man my son offended with apologies and explanations.  I know it is best to just move on but it is hard.  Especially since the very next day we went to the park and we were right next to my son and he said to a pregnant lady why are you so fat and touched her belly before we could even catch him.  I know that HE has a a problem with things and I would have been scared if some young teen stranger had touched my belly  when pregnant.  We go over and over the appropriate rules and still it is just a struggle.  It sucks for the people he comments to and for him and us.  Just the day before at the wedding he was crying about how sorry he was and he was going to do better.  He just seems unable to control it or us for that matter.

digme721
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM

http://www.sosmartkids.com

tylerslife
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM

You're not alone.  I have had to leave events and public places multiple times.  I still take him and try to get the social exposure, then leave when it becomes an issue.  Once we drove an hour to our friends house for a cook-out and had to leave 5 minutes after we got there.  Keep trying and don't keep yourself or him hidden.  They need to be exposed to the world just as much as the world needs to be exposed to Autism. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)