Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello everyone!!! My names Brandi im 22 and I have a beautiful 2 year old daughter and one on the way due in Nov. Around about the time I found out I was pregnant again we found out about Joshlynns' autism. It hasn't been that long since Joshlynns diagnosis, and we have just started her therapy. She doesn't say any words besides DaDa and doesn't respond to her name. We are trying to focus on getting her to communicate better because the only way she can let us know she wants something is by yelling. It's a bit overwhelming at times and I hurt for her I want so much to carry her burden she gets so frustrated when we dont understand what she needs. Any input would be appreciated, I dont get much support in my home and having some is better than having none. I have heard about people putting their children on a Gluten free diet or something does this work??

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Replies (11-15):
melissarose72
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM

When my son was non-verbal, we started baby sign language (thru speech therapy) and later we were introduced to PECS, picture exchange communication system. The combo of these helped a lot with my son's frustration over not being able to communicate his needs & wants. I would also ask him to "show me" when he wanted (he would take my hand, lead me some place & I'd try to figure out what he wanted).

ABA therapy & starting special ed preschool have also helped. My son is 5 now & he's come a long way.

Autiziumom
by Ana on Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Welcome!!! I'm Ana, I'm 28 and I have 4 kids. My only eldest son is autistic. U will find so much encouragement here!!!!
l3randixo
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Thank You!!! So just because your oldest has autism your other dont... The reason I ask is because im pregnant with my second child and everyone keeps saying "well since Joshlynns' autistic this one could be to" (mostly my MIL) but I guess that isn't true??

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM

welcome to the group!

l3randixo
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Thank you simple smile

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)