Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Have you heard the ten things?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM
  • 27 Replies

Hi, all!

I am sure that we have all heard/read the Ten Things That a Child with Autism Wishes You Knew... I have a new spin... Lets list the 10 things Parents of ASD wish you knew...

Who wants to start?

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
homemommie
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this

If you only knew the mixed feelings we have when we hear, "I don't know how you do it". Really, its my child, I do "it" because I love my child and would never give up on them.

momtoscott
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:04 AM
8 moms liked this

Just for fun, I did all 10.   

1.  My child's diagnosis is legit.  I am not trying to get him special treatment just for the heck of it.

2.  I am not a parent who is just too lazy to discipline her child. 

3.  Why, yes, I have heard of the latest theory about what causes autism.  Does it apply to me or my family?  That's none of your business. 

4.  I don't have very much free time because I am taking my child to therapy and because it is very difficult to find a babysitter, so I may not be able to make social plans with you.

5.  I wish you wouldn't call my kid a freak or roll your eyes when he is louder than you think is appropriate.  If you do those things, I will call you on it.  And he hears it and understands it; you are being rude to both of us. 

6.  My child is a wonderful human being.  He is not defective:  he is different.  I want him to learn how to function in this world, as himself.  I am proud of him, how far he has come, how hard he works.  I love him more than life itself.   

7.  Why, yes, I have heard of this wonderful new miracle "cure" for autism that you saw on the internet or the news.  I am not a bad parent because I have not tried it.  My child is making good progress with the therapies that I and his professional providers have decided to use. 

8.  There is no cure for autism.  Sometimes there is misdiagnosis, often there is great progress.  There is no cure. 

9.  The accommodations in testing, homework, and instruction that my autistic child receives do not mean that he "gets away" with anything.  His homework takes him the same amount of time as your child's. 

10.  It's called stimming, most humans do it, and you don't have to stare and point and make a big deal about it. 

Jean2

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momtoscott:

You're always so right on! I'm your biggest fan!

redsox_baby
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM
3 moms liked this

Please forgive me for being a bit of a negative nellie today!

1. No, I'm not interested in hearing your thoughts on the "overdiagnosis" of autism.

2. No, I am not interested in how "normal" he seems to you.

3. No, I am not interested in you telling me how your kids "do that, too" or how "all kids do that."

4. No, I don't need your suggestions of what "cures" you just heard about.

5. I don't need you to forward me articles by email, either.

6. It's not contagious.

7. My son probably understands most of what you're saying in front of him. Just because he does not appear to be listening or understanding doesn't mean he isn't. Watch your mouth in front of him just like you would in front of any other child.

8. There are things that are beyond his control at the moment. That doesn't mean we're not working toward it. It just means I've decided to choose my battles wisely on the short-term.

9. Know that the simplest things in life are often the ones that cause ASD parents the most grief, such as what to do with our kids over the summer if they can't handle YMCA day camp or whatever else all the other kids are doing.

10. There is just about nothing more isolating socially than having a special needs child. One invitation to your kid's birthday party goes a long way toward lifting out spirits and feeling like people value our children despite their differences.

ROGUEM
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I wish everyone would just treat me normally like any other parent.  Mothers of NT children treat me differently. When I help out at school functions, they don't know how to interact with me.

aidansmom2001
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM

1 . please stop using the worda "you can not tell he is autistic, he seems so normal"

he is freaking NORMAL whatever that is supposed to be..lol

aidansmom2001
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM

good post idea

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Autism isn't a tragedy Ignorance is a tragedy. 

jmegee
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I so want to give you a big hug for saying this one! It made me cry and laugh. Thank you. I agree with you. 

jmegee
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Love it!!

Quoting momtoscott:

1.  My child's diagnosis is legit.  I am not trying to get him special treatment just for the heck of it.

2.  I am not a parent who is just too lazy to discipline her child. 

3.  Why, yes, I have heard of the latest theory about what causes autism.  Does it apply to me or my family?  That's none of your business. 

4.  I don't have very much free time because I am taking my child to therapy and because it is very difficult to find a babysitter, so I may not be able to make social plans with you.

5.  I wish you wouldn't call my kid a freak or roll your eyes when he is louder than you think is appropriate.  If you do those things, I will call you on it.  And he hears it and understands it; you are being rude to both of us. 

6.  My child is a wonderful human being.  He is not defective:  he is different.  I want him to learn how to function in this world, as himself.  I am proud of him, how far he has come, how hard he works.  I love him more than life itself.   

7.  Why, yes, I have heard of this wonderful new miracle "cure" for autism that you saw on the internet or the news.  I am not a bad parent because I have not tried it.  My child is making good progress with the therapies that I and his professional providers have decided to use. 

8.  There is no cure for autism.  Sometimes there is misdiagnosis, often there is great progress.  There is no cure. 

9.  The accommodations in testing, homework, and instruction that my autistic child receives do not mean that he "gets away" with anything.  His homework takes him the same amount of time as your child's. 

10.  It's called stimming, most humans do it, and you don't have to stare and point and make a big deal about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)