Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

DDD- Dept. of Developmental Diabilities- anyone use their services in your area?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM
  • 19 Replies
I have recently contacted the DDD here in AZ to see if I can get my son some services, such as ST, OT, music therapy and respite care. This would go along way in helping to alleviate some of the out of pocket costs for the private therapy my son is currently receiving.

I know it's somewhat of a long process with of course tons of paperwork to fill out, but I think it might be worth it.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else used their local DDD services? If so, what were your impressions? Good, bad? Helpful, disorganized?

Any input would be great appreciated. Thank you in advance for replies. :-)
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
greenmommo
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
We've been waiting on services. Here it's referred to the Regional office and either First Steps (0-3) or Next Steps (3+) Most of the providers want you to go through the RO because here it's hard to find a provider who likes to take insurance or private pay and most of their slots are filled by RO kids.

Both Ben & Nicole are in the programs. Nicole since Feb and we're still waiting. Ben-just last month but they are already making referrals. But the Service Coordinator for this area was so busy -her supervisor has been filling in and she doesn't know the process as well. 2 weeks ago I had 3 professionals show up at the house and they didnt know why they were even here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

here its called family support they are gonan pay for johnysrespite,ipad,additional therapy and pullups til hes potty trained.just started not sure if i like it yet;-)

Leobaby2007
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM

My friend who started the process this past Spring for her son told me the same thing- her service coordinator was so busy she had to be persistent and call a whole bunch of times to get her to call back.

Also, her son is now receiving DDD provided ST and OT and she gets some respite care, but she also still has him in the speech clinic where our sons attended this past year. Her son did not qualify for the speech camp my son is in because the SLPs just didn't think he was ready for it yet. Her son gets very overwhelmed in groups larger than 4 or 5.

Her opinion of the DDD services are "ok, but not great". Still, she figures any help she can get is better than none at all...especially if it's of no charge to her since she is also paying out of pocket for some additional ST and OT.

LOL- just great (insert sarcasm here) about those people showing up at your house and not knowing why they were there. Sigh....gov't agencies cease to surprise me at all at this point.

Quoting greenmommo:

We've been waiting on services. Here it's referred to the Regional office and either First Steps (0-3) or Next Steps (3+) Most of the providers want you to go through the RO because here it's hard to find a provider who likes to take insurance or private pay and most of their slots are filled by RO kids.

Both Ben & Nicole are in the programs. Nicole since Feb and we're still waiting. Ben-just last month but they are already making referrals. But the Service Coordinator for this area was so busy -her supervisor has been filling in and she doesn't know the process as well. 2 weeks ago I had 3 professionals show up at the house and they didnt know why they were even here.

Leobaby2007
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Interesting....thanks...I will probably send you a message in a few months to see how things are progressing. :-)

Quoting marisab:

here its called family support they are gonan pay for johnysrespite,ipad,additional therapy and pullups til hes potty trained.just started not sure if i like it yet;-)

LStambaugh
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM

DS just got qualified for DDD this month (AZ) BUT the thing is DDD doesn't have any funding, so you then have to get qualified for Long Term Care through state health insurance.  Long Term Care will then give DDD the funds for services.  We are currently waiting for a evaluation to see if DS qualifies for that.  Its been maybe a 3-4 month process.  My son attends an academy at a therapy center, so if we get services, he will be able to receive them at school.  Let me know if you have any more questions.  I'm not an expert but I am in the middle of applying for everthing :)  Where is AZ do you live?

Leobaby2007
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Quoting LStambaugh:

DS just got qualified for DDD this month (AZ) BUT the thing is DDD doesn't have any funding, so you then have to get qualified for Long Term Care through state health insurance.  Long Term Care will then give DDD the funds for services.  We are currently waiting for a evaluation to see if DS qualifies for that.  Its been maybe a 3-4 month process.  My son attends an academy at a therapy center, so if we get services, he will be able to receive them at school.  Let me know if you have any more questions.  I'm not an expert but I am in the middle of applying for everthing :)  Where is AZ do you live?

Hi! Thanks for your reply! We are in Scottsdale. Where are you guys? I know it can take several months to get it all set up. Sigh...

How old is your son. Where does he attend school?

Donovan will be 5 in August, and will be attending a private Lutheran school for kindergarten prep, but eventually I may have to look into a school that caters to children with developmental disabilities, depending on how he does in a "typical" classroom.

Also, I have heard DDD has an issue with funding, which does not surprise me one bit.
letstalk747
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM

yes , they dont have much funds tho , right now its $150 per family

coleysmama
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM
We went through our county's Department of Children with Disabilities. We recieved OT, PT, SP and special ed through them.

They were awesome. I became quite friendly with the services coordinator and good friends with the special ed/ behavioral therapist. I never felt as if my son was just a "case".
LStambaugh
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Quoting LStambaugh:

Hi! Thanks for your reply! We are in Scottsdale. Where are you guys? I know it can take several months to get it all set up. Sigh...

How old is your son. Where does he attend school?

Donovan will be 5 in August, and will be attending a private Lutheran school for kindergarten prep, but eventually I may have to look into a school that caters to children with developmental disabilities, depending on how he does in a "typical" classroom.

Also, I have heard DDD has an issue with funding, which does not surprise me one bit.

We live in Queen Creek.  My son is 5 and goes to school at Lauren's Institute For Education in Gilbert.  He's only been there a couple months, but we've been really happy with our decision to put him there.  I think eventually we will want to put him in public school but for now this is where he needs to be.  Good luck with DDD.  I have a really good experience with them so far!

KimberlyK
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Gerrrrrrrr! In WA, DDD is really hard to get on with, and once you qualify they pull the rug out from under you as soon as you start to depend on them. No rhyme or reason - no common sense. I have so many clients whose lives are run and ruined by the false hope of DDD!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)