Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

response to jenny mccarthy-ism statement

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM
  • 16 Replies
6 moms liked this
Attention all mothers of autism...
Any medical diagnosis, particularly a lifelong diagnosis, be it physical, psychological, social, comes along with a brief period of 'mourning'. Its perfectly natural and very human to feel self pity and pity for your child, and to also lament over,'what could've been'. But we, as strong mothers get beyond it, and go into 'fight mode'. We then proceed to advocate for, and enable our autistic children to be the absolute best that they can be. The fact that this dumb b**ch is faultering every mother of autism for having a very human reaction, is ludacris and speaks volumes to the fact that she shouldnt be the spokesperson for the parents of autistic children. Someone gave her the title because shes a D list celebrity. Her careers based on making fart jokes on MTV. She certainly doesnt speak for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dixonsmama
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Correct spelling, ludicrous. Sorry, went with the pop culture spelling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jersey_class
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:27 AM

shake hand

bow down

mr.scariesmommy
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM
That's exactly what my dh and I were talking about earlier today. I don't feel that I should be pittied I have been blessed with a son which just happens to have autism he makes my day hard and great at the same time. Even our nt 21 month old loves the fell out if his big brother. Joe talks more now since his little brother talks to him and that makes my day every time Joe says something new.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Hooray! 

greenmommo
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:24 AM
Yes, there is a grief period. I've not seen moms seek attention for it though. So I don't know what she's talking about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassidysmom611
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Thank you posting this. Although her words are crazy, it made me question my crying yesterday. My DD just got diagnosed on Monday but I was numb up until yesterday. 

I am trying to remind myself though that there is no "right" way to act or feel after. 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Quoting greenmommo:

Yes, there is a grief period. I've not seen moms seek attention for it though. So I don't know what she's talking about.

I was talking about this with dh and I said, "she's projecting."

That means, because she's doing it (or has done it) (or is doing it) for attention, she assumes other mothers are doing it for attention as well. 

greenmommo
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I can def see that 

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting greenmommo:

I was talking about this with dh and I said, "she's projecting."

That means, because she's doing it (or has done it) (or is doing it) for attention, she assumes other mothers are doing it for attention as well. 

badgermom2012
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree that JM is not a good spokesperson.  She is clearly dumb and her only credentials are showing her boobs for $$.  

badgermom2012
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Nevertheless, adding to my previous comment, I'm not sure who would be a good spokesperson.  From what I've seen in several online and in-person autism support groups, many parents have ASD traits or are actually on the spectrum and therefore have trouble relating to people, getting their point across in a socially acceptable manner and so on.  I've also noticed that among the parents that don't have ASD or ASD-like behaviors, many are diagnosed with bipolar disorder or depression, and as a result often have trouble dealing with various situations.  Another group of parents have chronic illness such as RA, MS, or lupus, and bogged down with pain and medical issues.  So, really, in my estimate, we are a mostly sick, disabled, or at best "differently abled" bunch struggling just to get through the day, let alone spearhead somesort of advocacy.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)