Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do Aspies attract Aspies???

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM
  • 38 Replies
I read something recently that said that Aspies may attract other Aspies as mates creating Aspie children. My dh and I are like twins in many ways and he and I are both like Mike. So makes me wonder.....do you find this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually picked someone who was the complete opposite of me.... we balance each other out. for friends - I tend to attract people who are wired more uniquely, I don't think i've ever had a NT friend.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM
Yup, embarrassing as it is LOL. After I realized my daughter and I are Aspies I realized her dad is. We aren't together. I now realize the good friends that I have are. IDK if my hubby is. I don't think so but it looks like both of our kids may be. I know our 2 year old is. Possibly our 9 month old. I'm pretty sure at least one ex boyfriend is one.

This sounds nuts I know. But I think both of my parents are just at opposite ends LOL. My mom is more like a passive mouse scared of everything and internalizes everything. My dad is very direct and doesn't realize what he says is offensive. Both have sensory problems. LOL. And my sister is one too o_O
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
badgermom2012
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Some of my friends have had aspie type qualities.  Romantic partners not so much.  

greenmommo
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM
I wonder about my Dd's father. He was a liar-created a personality for every group of people and I would think just a sociopath except he carried a fan around as a boy? My DH now-IT geek and reserved-trouble talking and a very stiff walk. ??? And I think his nephew is autistic.
My good friends have always been "different." After I took the online Aspie test, a lot of my friends did. They were def closer to the Aspie side than the NT side.
I think it's possible both my parents were too. My mom believes she is. My dad was an alcoholic and died when I was 21 after numerous failed marriages and jobs he couldn't hold. And so accident prone. I think he broke nearly every bone in his body. Both loners. WhO knows
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WildCat73
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure how that would be determined to be aspies maybe bipolar?

Quoting greenmommo:

I wonder about my Dd's father. He was a liar-created a personality for every group of people and I would think just a sociopath

greenmommo
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Sorry-I edited, hit send by accident

Quoting WildCat73:

I am not sure how that would be determined to be aspies maybe bipolar?

Quoting greenmommo:

I wonder about my Dd's father. He was a liar-created a personality for every group of people and I would think just a sociopath

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WildCat73
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

aww makes sense greenmommo I was thinking he sounded bi polar but he could be bi polar and aspie

Aspiemom0203
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Maybe. I don't think I'm Aspie, but can be a bit shy at first and like my own space. But we are both positive DH is Aspie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aspiemom0203
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Bipolar runs in families and one of those "studies" linked BP in families to Autism. It runs in mine. My dad & sister both have it and I suspect my oldest DS has it, but refuses help. It does make me wonder.

Quoting greenmommo:

I wonder about my Dd's father. He was a liar-created a personality for every group of people and I would think just a sociopath except he carried a fan around as a boy? My DH now-IT geek and reserved-trouble talking and a very stiff walk. ??? And I think his nephew is autistic.

My good friends have always been "different." After I took the online Aspie test, a lot of my friends did. They were def closer to the Aspie side than the NT side.

I think it's possible both my parents were too. My mom believes she is. My dad was an alcoholic and died when I was 21 after numerous failed marriages and jobs he couldn't hold. And so accident prone. I think he broke nearly every bone in his body. Both loners. WhO knows

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Two of my uncles were supposedly diagnosed bipolar. One definitely could have been an Aspie. My mother definitely is. From the stories I hear about my grandpa on my moms side it sounds like he could have been an Aspie.

Quoting Aspiemom0203:

Bipolar runs in families and one of those "studies" linked BP in families to Autism. It runs in mine. My dad & sister both have it and I suspect my oldest DS has it, but refuses help. It does make me wonder.

Quoting greenmommo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)