Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Interesting question . . . . How did you end up here?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM
  • 63 Replies
3 moms liked this

While washing my dishes I like to think and found myself wondering how did we all end up on this message board.  Of course I know the obvious we all have children or are someone living within the spectrum, but what made you seek it out?  For me I was at a very desperate time in my life and I felt so alone.  My once very gentle son had started having meltdowns and aggression daily and for the life of me I didn't know how to help him.  I was working with the school, behavioral therapists and counselors and it just kept escalating.  I remember the first night I joined this board in December my son had been physically aggressive with me and had left bruises for the first time.  About a week later someone had posted they were going thru something similar and thats when I knew I was in the right place.  I started coming to the boards daily, getting advice and slowly I started to feel better.  I liked getting different points of view, and suggestions.  We finally found the right answers for my son in April, he has not been aggressive or had a meltdown since April 13th for that I am grateful.  I consider a lot of you ladies my true friends, even though we may never see each other in person you all have a special place in my heart :)

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I found out about cafemom about 5-6 years ago on myspace. It was a banner ad. I've been on cafemom ever since. :)

I don't really talk to people in real life, so having a couple of social networking sites that I can pick and choose forums to post on was beneficial for practicing social communication and language skills for me.

I lose my ability to communicate with words if I don't practice writing them on a daily basis, so I found it useful to practice in places where it generally is encouraged to post. LOL

I looked up autism groups once I was 99% sure my son and I were autistic and we just had to confirm with with a doctor visit. Prior to that, I tried to mostly hang out in mainstream groups, but always found my self unable to relate, especially wiht NT children.. since my son's also autistic and does things uniquely. LOL

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Many years ago when my son was first dx'd I joined a moms group on Ivillage but have to say this board has been a much better experience :)

Quoting kajira:

I found out about cafemom about 5-6 years ago on myspace. It was a banner ad. I've been on cafemom ever since. :)

I don't really talk to people in real life, so having a couple of social networking sites that I can pick and choose forums to post on was beneficial for practicing social communication and language skills for me.

I lose my ability to communicate with words if I don't practice writing them on a daily basis, so I found it useful to practice in places where it generally is encouraged to post. LOL

I looked up autism groups once I was 99% sure my son and I were autistic and we just had to confirm with with a doctor visit. Prior to that, I tried to mostly hang out in mainstream groups, but always found my self unable to relate, especially wiht NT children.. since my son's also autistic and does things uniquely. LOL

greenmommo
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this
After a few months of Nicole being diagnosed, I was literally at wits ends trying to figure out what to do. I'm not good at in-person support groups. I can listen, but not talk. Imagine that! People would tell me call them. Yeah, that's never going to happen.

So I found here. I'm not sure if I'd ever even heard about CM before. I felt better almost immediately.

Although I have to tell people, I have a really hard time remembering people until I really get to know them. And I remember screen names. Very hard for me to associate real names.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I will confess I had never heard of Cafemom until I googled autism support groups!  lol  Wish I had known about it a long time ago honestly!

Quoting greenmommo:

After a few months of Nicole being diagnosed, I was literally at wits ends trying to figure out what to do. I'm not good at in-person support groups. I can listen, but not talk. Imagine that! People would tell me call them. Yeah, that's never going to happen.

So I found here. I'm not sure if I'd ever even heard about CM before. I felt better almost immediately.

Although I have to tell people, I have a really hard time remembering people until I really get to know them. And I remember screen names. Very hard for me to associate real names.

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I joined cafemom when I was pregnant. I didn't really find it useful at that time. I thought it was a bunch of bored SAHMs just trying to stir up drama.

Later, I was at a time where I realized that I didn't have any friends and my husband and I were drifting apart.

I went onto cafemom and was once again disappointed until I decided to search autism and was brought to this group as well as a few others.

It has been so helpful to me to be able to talk to other women that understand.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skerst83
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I had JUST (within a couple of days) gotten the long awaited, much anticipated diagnosis from the doctor. My dad, whom we live with until I finish college, had mentioned before looking into support groups because neither of us knew what exactly this dx would entail. He was originally planning on attending with me since we are a part of this together. One day while he was at work, he sent me a text with the link to this site. I have no idea how or where he found it, but it has been a great deal of help. He asks frequently if I have been on, and what the mom's are saying. While I do think it would still be good idea to join a group in my area and meet local moms going through the same thing, I don't think the advice would be near as good!

Kittie26
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM
2 moms liked this

My sister introduced me to CafeMom when I got pregnant with Aly and I spent the majority of my time in my birth month group -- owned it for two years. Then I got involved in a photography group for a bit. And then EI suggested Aly might have autism so I sought out a group and this was the one I liked best. I came in and asked my questions prior to getting the diagnosis (thinking she would NOT be diagnosed), and stayed after we got her diagnosis. Love it here!

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree this group is so much more diverse than the few ladies I locally meet with.  I learn something new all the time.  I also think we are more willing to open up a little more from behind our computer screens :)

Quoting skerst83:

I had JUST (within a couple of days) gotten the long awaited, much anticipated diagnosis from the doctor. My dad, whom we live with until I finish college, had mentioned before looking into support groups because neither of us knew what exactly this dx would entail. He was originally planning on attending with me since we are a part of this together. One day while he was at work, he sent me a text with the link to this site. I have no idea how or where he found it, but it has been a great deal of help. He asks frequently if I have been on, and what the mom's are saying. While I do think it would still be good idea to join a group in my area and meet local moms going through the same thing, I don't think the advice would be near as good!

skerst83
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Austinsmom4544:

I agree this group is so much more diverse than the few ladies I locally meet with.  I learn something new all the time.  I also think we are more willing to open up a little more from behind our computer screens :)

Quoting skerst83:

I completely agree!!! I hate telling people I know what is going on with my kid because I always end up going into defense mode, or they don't believe me. But here, we're all in the same boat so I don't have to worry.  Thank you....

Aspiemom0203
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:12 PM
I just found CM like three months ago when I caught a smarta** post on New Comers and felt I must put my 2 cents in. Then someone told me about this group. I kind of just stumbled on it when I was supposed to be homeschooling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)