Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Dysgraphia

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:34 AM
  • 18 Replies

In addition to everything else I've been told my son has..now the speech therapist says she thinks he has dysgraphia.  Is anyone familiar with what this is?

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leobaby2007
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Is this the problem with handwriting?

If so, it's entirely possible my son may have it. He's a bit too young to tell for sure or not... He can write his name but it's not done very well. :-(

What makes your son's ST suspect it?

momof1aspie
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this

yes it is with handwriting but its more than that.  it has something to do with conveying his thoughts onto paper, problems with grammar, spelling.  He doesn't seem to understand that you must capitalize the first letter in a sentence, for instance.  Even though he is told repeatedly.  He doesn't stop writing at the end of the lined paper.  He just lets it wrap around in the margins.  He has a really hard time writing.  He's 9 years old but his handwriting looks much much younger.  I didn't know if this is something that can be associated with autism or if it's total seperate.  I have no idea.  I've never heard of it. 

dysgraphia is defined as a deficiency in the ability to write primarily in terms of handwriting but also in terms of coherence.  It occurs regardless of the ability to read and is not due to intellectual impairment.

zenwildcatmomma
by Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM
My ds, age 12 has this, too. But I don't have much advice. The only thing I can suggest is to focus on one main issue and work on it. When he shows improvement to your comfort level, move on to the next issue. Some ST work on this issue.
fromupnorth
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM

My son has dysgraphia.  Here is one of my favorite links

http://www.margaretkay.com/Dysgraphia.htm

Leobaby2007
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Yes! I looked it up after replying to this post. As usual, there is more to it than I originally thought. These things are so complex, aren't they?

See, my son is not yet 5, so I don't know if we're looking at possible dyspraphia yet, but it's certainly possible...

It can be a completely separate dx aside from autism, or it can be autism plus dysgraphia, from what I read, anyway...

Quoting momof1aspie:

yes it is with handwriting but its more than that.  it has something to do with conveying his thoughts onto paper, problems with grammar, spelling.  He doesn't seem to understand that you must capitalize the first letter in a sentence, for instance.  Even though he is told repeatedly.  He doesn't stop writing at the end of the lined paper.  He just lets it wrap around in the margins.  He has a really hard time writing.  He's 9 years old but his handwriting looks much much younger.  I didn't know if this is something that can be associated with autism or if it's total seperate.  I have no idea.  I've never heard of it. 

dysgraphia is defined as a deficiency in the ability to write primarily in terms of handwriting but also in terms of coherence.  It occurs regardless of the ability to read and is not due to intellectual impairment.

smarieljlee
by Sara on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I have no confirmation on this, but her OT has mentioned Dyspraxia. Dysgraphia would fit as well. But it may be more to it in her case

But yes, I am very familiar with these issues.

momof1aspie
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:16 AM

is it something that can be fixed or is it a life long condition?

smarieljlee
by Sara on Jul. 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM

My limited understanding of it is that it can be overcome or worked around.

For me personally, writing is laborious. It made writing assignments very difficult. My hands could not keep up with my brain. Learning to type efficiently made it so much easier. I was able to improve my writing enough that I could get by though. I hope the same is true for Bella. She uses assistive technology in school and works with an OT. She has shown a lot of improvement already! Still working on structure and all that.

momof1aspie
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

what assistive technology is she using?  my son is in 3rd grade.  well, he going to 4th grade in august.  last year, the teachers were on him so bad because of his handwriting.  they kept saying he wasn't trying.  he is a very bright child and i think that hurts him at times.    this seems to be one of those times.   they think his handwriting is poor because he is being lazy.

ROGUEM
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM

My oldest son has this and I just have it in his IEP that he will not be held accountable for his handwriting.  There are actually doing away teaching handwriting in my state this year...ugggghhh of course after going through all that with my son in previous years.  My son is now learning typing and can type his assignments instead of writing them as listed on his IEP.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)