Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Tracking device for Children with special needs

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

I need help finding the best tracking device for my son. We'll be travelling outside the country to visit his grandparents in November. He's 10 year old with autism (high functioning). I am more worried inside the airport when I have to use the bathroom and he can't go with me. I want to make sure that he's within range. 

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I know locally our sheriffs office started a program for autistic children.  About 6 of the kids at my son school are participating.  It is a tiny ankle monitoring device.  Not sure if that would be a possibility in your area or not :)

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM

That's a good idea. I might look up in our area if they offer one. Thanks for your time

unusualmom
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok...hes 10 but my sons 11 and I make him go to the bathroom with me. Yeah...its the ladies room. But so what. And the sheriffs office here has program lifesaver...ankle or wrist monitor thats a gps. But...since your going out of the country I dont know if it works outside of the US or if theyd allow it on an airplane???? Good luck...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I like that idea too. My parents used to take him to the family room to use the bathroom but my son was only 4 year old then. I wish I can find shirt with autism in it so I don't have to hear mean comments "arggh"

I will check the TSA's website for more information or probably check the airport first before the departure if it's allowed. Thank you for bringing that up. 

SPORTYUS
by Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM

yes.. i take my son autistic to the ladies room if i am in a store  because you never know who is in the mens room in those places really anywere my son does not speak well... so  he is 13... and still i do not care... he goes with me unless i have a friend that can go with me,which is not much.... and takes him in when he would go so no harm done.

Jersey_class
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Is it experience?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM

My son has the Project Lifesaver LoJack.  It's through our county's sheriff department. Also I would take my son with me to the bathroom.

greenmommo
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Even with a tracking device o would be concerned about my dd if she didn't go in me. As an alternative, you may talk to the airline in advance and see if he can stay with an employee when you go to the bathroom. I would def get an ID card that says he's autistic and may have trouble responding in a stressful situation. I've seen one online, but the format was very confusing fir the one I found.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Thank you guys for all the information. We recently got him a medical bracelet with his name, address, and phone no. in case of emergency. This trip is stressing me out. I hope my husband can go with us but he can't get away from his work for couple weeks.

I will just let  the airline rep before we leave about the situation. Thank you all so much!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)