Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for advice on helping my DD

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 3:50 PM
  • 2 Replies

I am going to have DD2 in Sept. and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to help DD1 get ready. I am actually not so concerned with her adjusting to the new baby, since she was the one who let me know I was pregnant (when you non-verbal five year old starts saying Baby and pointing at your belly, you know something is up). She has been helping me pick out stuff for her baby sister at yard sales and such, and babbles at my belly all the time. She seems really excited to be having a baby sister, I know that could all change once she is born and am preparing for that. My main concern is that I am going to have a c-section and I am not sure how to prep DD for seeing Mommy with an IV and stuck in a hospital bed. Can anyone give me any ideas on how I can make that less scary for her?

BTW: Dh thinks I am worrying too much. He says that she will be so excited about her baby sister that she won't even notice me.

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM
I'm sure she'll notice and you're right in trying to prepare her. Honestly, I would go on Amazon or something and try to find a book about your situation. If there's a book out there called "Everyone Poops" surely there's one that could teach about a c-section!
Maybe take her on a tour of the hospital with you too and show her pictures of newborns so she knows what to expect
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM
I think it sounds like you are doing some great things to prepare her! I would get books and read them with her about new babies. Watch videos with babies in them so she can see how they sound and look. I look for ones in youtube.

You may just want to shield her from the whole hospital experience if it will be too much. I would write or find a social story about how you will go to the hospital and come home with the baby etc etc. And gear it towards her so that she feels involved. Then she will know what to expect.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)