Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 and 1/2 yr old Grandson in early intervention program in another state. Wish he was closer to help!

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi My Grandson is 2 and 1/2 and is currently in an early intervention program. Unfortunately we don't live close to them.  It breaks my heart that I can't be there to help out with my Lil Man.  I would love to hear from other Grandma's that know what I am going thru.  We just got to see him last week on vacation and will be seeing him again next month for a week and we want to make the most of every minute we get with him. He is very sensitive to loud noises and covers his ears often.  He also is a very strong lil guy and when he is having a hard time with things he throws tantrums.  Just want to be sure we are doing the best thing for him when this happens. He is speaking words now but still has a hard time communicating at times. He will take your hand and direct you to what he wants.  I would love to speak to other people that can give me ideas.  We just want to make this vacation the best we can for him.  We love this lil guy so much!

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

You remind me of my parents who pretty much raised my son with autism since he was 4 months old. He was their first grand child and I was a single mother. I worked long hours to support my son and my parents were both retired. They showered my son with lots of love, patience and understanding. Now, I met a wonderful guy and both took us in. He's a wonderful father to my son. My parents were scared to let my son be raised by his stepdad but, my husband showed them that he is fit for the job. Now, they're both happy with my son's progress. By the way, my son is already 10 years old and the grandparents call every single  day through skype, they both live outside US.

You are one good grandmother! and I salute all the grandparents who wants to be part of their grandchildren's ( special needs) life. 

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

they should teach him to sign it will help reduces melt downs from communication issues

twins0506
by Holly on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this
First off I want to commend you for trying to be in your grandsons life. My mom is here but she does nothing to help the situation at all and it is so annoying. She thinks she's helping but it's making it worse.

One good Thing you can do is don't let him go off of his schedule. If he takes a nap at 12 and goes to sleep at 8, let him. I used to hate when my family messed with my boys sleep schedule. Also, learn his likes and dislikes. You already know he doesn't like loud noises. Learn what he likes. Try to play with what he likes. Play one on one on the floor in a quiet room that's with no distractions so you can get some bonding time with him. Good luck and have fun. Let us know how it goes!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2009Mema
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for all your positive replies... Although it is a yr later I am still trying to help from long distance... My lil man saw a neurologist today for the first time and they told my daughter if in school in August they do applied behavior analysis, then she will see him again... If no changes he will need meds to help him... My daughter is scared of the long termeffects on him... My heart is breaking as she never gets a break and for the first time today in over a yr since realizing he has ASD she broke down on the phone w me. Being 1900 miles away from them I don't know what to do andI feel helpless. We are going down for a week in July and we can't wait but I wish I could find support for her locally but don't know where to look. The Internet is not giving me any helpful answers, and it is prob because I am it looking in the right place. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks so much.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)