Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Still looking for advice with my 26 year old aspie...

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:12 AM
  • 7 Replies

My son got his own place about a year ago and he is been doing ok, but he has been looking for a job for many, many months, luckily when posting resumes on line he gets calls for interviews but he stresses out so much that he can't stop perspiring during the interviews and he is convinced that that is the reason why he does not have a job still, how can I help him.  He took aderall for a while when in h.s. and it helped him a lot but can't get it any more due to lack of insurance....any ideas will be highly appreciated, tnx!

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jadedcynic
by Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Is he a good writer or does he have some other skill that would allow him to do freelance work? Freelance work isn't always the most steady, but it's great for us Aspies because we can work at home. It's a lot less stressful.

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:17 AM

well.... there's options besides conventional jobs.

First, he can go through a worksource program, or, if he has a specific interest, he can volunteer, or hang out and chit-chat generically with the place of interst until they hire him.

Or, as an adult who's autistic, I make 500-1000 a month on youtube (depending on the month.)

If he's willing to blog or do video blogs, he could probably make a decent income doing that if he's willing to invest some time networking and doing it.

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

Angels711
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Well he does have a Real Estate license, gets very anxious during transactions but that is what I am here for, the problem is that the market is so horrible right now....then he know sooo much history, cars and politics that he could be teaching somewhere, but what kind of freelancing do you do with those...it is a great idea, he also speaks other languages, maybe he can find a way to do translations at home!Even though I am sure that he has thought of it, I will talk to him, maybe brainstorming a moral support will make a difference, thank you guys!

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM

if he is really good with cars try a parts store.

it can be a little rough till the regualrs get used to you. but once they realize that you know what your doing it gets

better

Quoting Angels711:

Well he does have a Real Estate license, gets very anxious during transactions but that is what I am here for, the problem is that the market is so horrible right now....then he know sooo much history, cars and politics that he could be teaching somewhere, but what kind of freelancing do you do with those...it is a great idea, he also speaks other languages, maybe he can find a way to do translations at home!Even though I am sure that he has thought of it, I will talk to him, maybe brainstorming a moral support will make a difference, thank you guys!

OnlyAwesomeness
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Hmm... people are so judgemental but maybe he could find some way of informing the interviewer of his issue before starting?  :(   I had a very good friend that stuttered so terribly that of course people would look at him like he was weird.  He started informing strangers with a polite "Please excuse my voice, I have a bad stutter"  and peoples faces would instantly change and they would take the time to listen.  Sorry I don't have any better advice. :(

justfiveofus
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I don't know if this is something that he may be interested in but I'll throw it out there any way.  I worked at a very busy hospital for three years.  They were always hiring translators....always. 

If he has a degree, he may be able to teach online courses at a community college. 

As far as having so much anxiety about his interviews.... does he exercise or meditate or pray or any of those things that maybe he could do to try and help calm his nerves pre-interview?

Quoting Angels711:

Mewlan
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM

If he has a disability determination from Social Security, go with him to the Department of Rehabilitative services and get a case opened for him.  They will help him find a job and give him job coaching if necessary.  If he does not have a disability determination from Social Security then go ahead and apply for that and when he gets the determination, then go to DRS.  DRS can also recommend job support services which can help him know which companies are hiring and can help him with the interview process and getting settled in the job.  I'm very happy with the DRS people and how they helped my son.  Walgreens looks to hire people like your son.  Walgreens as a company has a goal to have a specific percentage of their workforce be kids like our sons.  They have special training facilities programs for them.   Link about Walgreens:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/46777.php

Here is a video about the program:

http://www.walgreensvideos.com/anderson/

You can hear Randy Lewis speak about this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUQuuI_p7w

Office Max is also working to integrate more people with autism in their distribution centers.   Article about that:

http://bethesdablog.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/the-continuing-journey/

They are funding a training center  in Naperville IL. 

I would suggest doing what you need to do to get DRS involved.  Then ask them to help your son approach both Walgreens and Office Max.  They also know other places.  Your son can open a case with DRS every time he needs to get a job.

Also once he gets the social security disability determination, have him apply to medicaid.  If there is any way to fund his medication he most likely will need it to be on a job and keep the job...I don't know.  My son has to be on an antianxiety med.

I hope this helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)