Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My son has not been interested in coloring or art projects in general for a long time. While we were on vacation, he started coloring (out of boredom one time) and he seems to have found he enjoys it. But he only uses one color-red.  He never switches the color to another, we've tried pointing out other colors to him and he wants red.

On the one hand, I don't really care if he's happy, but it does seem unusual. I had a lazy eye when I was young, and I had to color with a red crayon as part of my eye exercises.  So it reminds me of that, and makes me wonder if something is going on that the red crayon seems to resolve?

He also does not color in the lines which drives DH nuts.  We think he can do a better job of it than he does, but he refuses. This I don't care about.  He also breaks the crayons in half and removes the paper, but I think this makes it easier for him to hold the crayon maybe (he has fine motor delays or did, they are no longer significant enough for OT).

Has anyone's child done this?  I tend to think it's more of a compulsive thing than anything else and a pretty harmless one.

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Replies (41-49):
Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I had a preschool teacher tell my mom once that I should be put in an instatute due to my creativity. I was the only one in Art class that didn't draw a house, dog, or cat. My mom took the picture home and framed it, along with the caption I said explaining my drawing lol.

Quoting Aspiemom0203:

#1 yep DS colored everything one color. He now just uses pencil.

#2 DS Pre-k teacher said something about Jacob not coloring in lines. DH went off. He was an Art Major in HS and had an Art scholarship. He insists coloring books are the devil;). The don't allow creativity. Also a little story, my first day of Interior Design school they handed us a piece of paper with 9 squares on it. With instructions to draw 9 things (don't remember what). Well I wanted to draw a the things in a group so I turned the paper over and drew it. The professor then grabbed my paper held it up to everyone and said what happened here? I thought I just failed. Everyone said she didn't follow directions (I tend to make my own rules). She said no I didnt tell you to draw in the boxes. She's the only one who thought outside the box.
Don't stifle his creativity. Art is about a feeling and lines are to make him conform. Give him blank paper and let him go at it. Red has many meanings. It can mean stop. I paint walls behind receptionists red. People will automatically stop and ask for info before passing by. It can make you hungry. Resteraunts use red so you will order more. It also grabs attention and can mean angry if in the right tone. He's just expressing a feeling. Let him draw freehanded on a blank paper and you will figure it out. BTW red is my favorite because I like to grab attention;) maybe he does too but can't express it.

Simply put, this is me:
Einfach Nervös Gemacht Mutti

LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Huh, it sounds as if this is all pretty typical.

I looked at his drawings again this evening, and while he goes out of the lines, it's not scribble scrabble either. He's coloring Ironman figures, and they appear to be on fire or have a halo effect, best way I can describe it. But there is a uniformity to the pictures that makes me think he's doing what he wants.

Thanks for posting the artwork! Who knew there were so many shades of red?

Aspiemom0203
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:47 AM
I love and respect preschool & elementary teachers, but they really stifle kids as far as art goes.

Quoting Mi_Chelly:

I had a preschool teacher tell my mom once that I should be put in an instatute due to my creativity. I was the only one in Art class that didn't draw a house, dog, or cat. My mom took the picture home and framed it, along with the caption I said explaining my drawing lol.

Quoting Aspiemom0203:

#1 yep DS colored everything one color. He now just uses pencil.

#2 DS Pre-k teacher said something about Jacob not coloring in lines. DH went off. He was an Art Major in HS and had an Art scholarship. He insists coloring books are the devil;). The don't allow creativity. Also a little story, my first day of Interior Design school they handed us a piece of paper with 9 squares on it. With instructions to draw 9 things (don't remember what). Well I wanted to draw a the things in a group so I turned the paper over and drew it. The professor then grabbed my paper held it up to everyone and said what happened here? I thought I just failed. Everyone said she didn't follow directions (I tend to make my own rules). She said no I didnt tell you to draw in the boxes. She's the only one who thought outside the box.

Don't stifle his creativity. Art is about a feeling and lines are to make him conform. Give him blank paper and let him go at it. Red has many meanings. It can mean stop. I paint walls behind receptionists red. People will automatically stop and ask for info before passing by. It can make you hungry. Resteraunts use red so you will order more. It also grabs attention and can mean angry if in the right tone. He's just expressing a feeling. Let him draw freehanded on a blank paper and you will figure it out. BTW red is my favorite because I like to grab attention;) maybe he does too but can't express it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROGUEM
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM

You know my kids prefer to do their own drawings.  They have never liked coloring books.   I absolutely loved coloring books growing up. I think my boys want to draw what they want to draw...LOL

craftmama
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Sometimes My 13 yo still colors out of the lines and only uses on color blue. but I don't reaaly trip off of it.

cmsloco
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

not done the one color thing, but he does tend to favor the primary colors.  His OT at school had him break them in half at first because it helps with his motor issues.  Eventually they special ordered him some materials from a place called handwriting without tears  http://www.hwtears.com/ .  They have flip crayons that are smaller than average and have two colors on each and they have pencils that are smaller in length.  lol my answer to the pencils are just to go ahead and sharpen them way down though ; )

These tools have really helped him not get so frustrated doing his school work. 

Oh and ps, Mason  will not color in the lines either

aakeiser
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:58 PM
My son only uses a few colors..My son is driving me nuts with mopping my hard wood floors..he wont stop until I take the mop outside...my son has other odd corks.. with the mopping its like puddles all over..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I was worried he wasnt coloring but seeing so many i know its a phase now

mommy03021207
by Alicia on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM
My ds loves to color but he only uses one color also and wont color in the lines. Hes 4 and it makes him happy. I try to prompt him to use different Color in one picture but he wont
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)