50 CentAbout a week ago, 50 Cent -- aka Curtis James Jackson -- got irritated with an overeager fan, and took to his Twitter account to dish out an insult. A very, very public insult, considering he sent it to nearly seven million followers.

Here's what he wrote: "yeah just saw your picture fool you look autistic." Of course, being the eloquent, sophisticated debate-team champion that he is, 50 didn't stop there. He added, "I don't want no special ed kids on my time line follow some body else."

Perhaps unsurprisingly, 50 Cent's comments have generated a massive backlash online, even earning an open letter from actress Holly Robinson Peete, whose son Rodney is autistic. And, of course, he's since apologized.

Or should I say, "someone took over his Twitter account and wrote a bullshit apology FOR him," because I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened.

After 50 Cent's insensitive comments started circling around the Twittersphere, Holly Robinson Peete, whose oldest son RJ was diagnosed with autism at age 3, posted an open letter to the rapper. She included a photo of her son, who's now 13, and wrote,

... this is my son Rodney Peete. He has autism. So I guess this is what autistic looks like? He is in special ed. He loves rap music and is a HUGE fan of yours. He’s a tremendous kid. He has to deal with so much trying to fit in. This isn’t helping.

I feel for Peete, but I'm not sure anyone should be surprised that 50 Cent posted something offensive. I mean, this is the same guy who wrote of the devastating Japan earthquake and tsunami,

Look this is very serious people I had to evacuate all my hoess from LA, Hawaii and Japan. I had to do it. Lol

Wave will hit 8am them crazy white boys gonna try to go surfing.

Its all good Till b**ches see there christian louboutins floating down da street shit gone get crazy.

He certainly didn't care about THAT backlash. As he explained afterwards, "Some of my tweets are ignorant I do it for shock value. Hate it or love it. I'm cool either way."

Someone on 50 Cent's team is obviously hoping to duck some of that "shock value" this time around, though, because here's what was posted to his Twitter account yesterday:

Okay, two reasons why this apology sucks:

1) He SO did not write that. Unless he's had a sobering visit from the Grammar Police and suddenly decided to stop writing like an illiterate teenager.

2) It's a weasel apology. He's sorry that anyone took it upon themselves to be offended, but he's not sorry forbeing offensive, because it wasn't his intention to offend anyone. See how that works?

At any rate, he'll surely lose a few fans because of his comments, but the majority won't care. And maybe even the people who have every right to be offended because of their families' situations won't bat an eye at yet another dumb statement from Mr. Cent, because as my friend Rob Rummel-Hudson wrote,

I love a good outrage as much as anyone, but honestly? If I were required by law to give two shits about what 50 Cent thinks, I'd have to borrow them both.

What do you think about 50 Cent's apology? Do you think it was heartfelt?