Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

question regarding strobe lights.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok so when my son was first diag with pdd, he use to have these spells where he would just blank out stare. The doc decided not to test him for seizures at the time b/c of how much it would stress him out... well i changed his diet to gluten free and he hasnt had an episode since.... til we went to the GA aquarium. They have a dolphin show there were they use strobe lights... during the show i looked down at him and he was sucked into the strobe light just glaring right up into it. I quickly cover his eyes and layed him down on my lap. He stayed that way the entire rest of the show. When it was over i rubbed his back to say it was over lets go, i picked him up off my lap and he cried for a min then immed zone out, just starring off and drooling on me as i carried him around he didnt come out of this spell for a good 10mins and when he did he was a mess, plus it didnt help that the place was packed, he had no time to calm down really. I did finally see the small shark pool that you are allowed to put your hands in , kind of like a calming sensory thing for him and that put him in a better mood.... but the trip by then was almost over =( my question is should i be concerned about seizures with him or could this be just a reaction to the strobe that goes along with maybe his sensory issues??? i made an appt but its not til the 25th so i thought i would ask all of you...=)

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
marisab
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM

to keep iut 2 the top so u can get more moms seeing it

Quoting momgates11:

im kind of new to this why did maisab "bump" it ?? LOL

RockinMama0608
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

My son loves strobe lights but does not have that kind of reaction to them.  He just gets excited and jumps around.  What your son is experiencing sounds scary and it is definitely something I would have checked out  ((hugs))  I hope other moms have more advice about seizures and strobe lights.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:02 PM

bump means to bring your post to the top of the list

i think you should call the DR tomorrow and tell them about this.

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I agree with all the ladies talk with your dr.  Sounds like a seizure but safer to check it out.  :)

momgates11
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:30 PM

thank you all ladies, and we do have an appt on the 25th scheduled already. His OT therapist is the one who suggested i call when i told her what happen.... i wanted to see if anyone else had this problem before, i will keep u all updated

momgates11
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:25 PM

SO in waiting for the 25th (which is his doc appt and isnt coming soon enough) i noticed something else....When he plays his video games he seems to always be  emotional afterwords or like today he told me his eyes hurt..... which is weird, i dont let them play long, my oldest and even my 4yr old never complain, i mean its not like he is playing for hours on end.... just another side not to discuess with doc

momgates11
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:25 PM

BUMP!

momgates11
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:24 PM

BUMP!

greenmommo
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Mine is too young to play video games, but he does frequently indicate that light is hurting his eyes. Many video games come with warnings ...

You mentioned headaches and I may have said it before, my seizures as a kid came with terrible headaches. In fact, the headaches is what caused me to see the Neuro in the first place.

Good luck-waiting on appts is hard!

Quoting momgates11:

SO in waiting for the 25th (which is his doc appt and isnt coming soon enough) i noticed something else....When he plays his video games he seems to always be  emotional afterwords or like today he told me his eyes hurt..... which is weird, i dont let them play long, my oldest and even my 4yr old never complain, i mean its not like he is playing for hours on end.... just another side not to discuess with doc

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
magickbaby
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Wow how scary that must have been. ((Hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)