Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Can't express my gratitude!!!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM
  • 19 Replies

Okay, so Tristan has been in a mainstream sports camp this week.  He has really enjoyed himself (after the initial separation anxiety cries that last only till I'm out of sight).  ANyways...there are 3 adults working with the kids...Coach Tim and his helper Dan, and Mrs. Tena (the parks & rec director).  They have been soooo great & understanding with Tristan.  They have remained mindful of his sensory issues every day.  Coach Tim always sits w/ Tristan until he stops crying when I leave.  Today they were inside the gym for basketball & bowling day.  WHen I dropped him off, Mrs. Tena told me it gets pretty loud in there with the echoes so she was planning on staying with Tristan and maybe taking him into a different room for another activity if it was too loud for him.  I told her I had some ear plugs for him, so I gave her those.  When I picked him up Coach Tim was proudly smiling "He did great!  He was overwhelmed at first but quickly joined in and played all the games."  And Mrs Tena said "He did so well that after awhile he came to me & handed me his ear plugs & said he didn't need them anymore!!"  I was almost in tears b/c I was so happy & proud of my son, but mostly just really felt how much they cared about Tristan and were really trying to make this a positive experience for him.  They have never once even remotely given me the feeling that he was a burden or disruption for them.  I have thanked them over & over for being so patient & kind.  Tomorrow is the last day, Olympic Day (LOL), and I feel like I should get them all something to express my gratitude.  Is that appropriate?  He is the only child in there w/ special needs and I really appreciate how loving & accepting they have been towards him.  :)

by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds wonderful that is what good coaches are! :)  maybe a small gift but it's not really necessary it was a short time period. maybe water bottles or something?

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I'm glad he's doing so well.

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Having teachers/coaches that are understanding make a big difference.  Sounds like he did great and really enjoyed it :)

Aspiemom0203
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM
I'm sure they would appreciate it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

That's really terrific!  I bet Tristan will learn a lot from being around the other kids and have a great time too.  A little gesture of appreciation is fine: I'd write the teachers a card or bring in a box of bakery treats to thank them. 

greenmommo
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM
That is so great they embraced having him there. Yeah, I think some cookies or something would be great
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Starbucks gift cards and a heartfelt thank you card. It's always worked for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twins0506
by Holly on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with the cookies. That's a good idea. That's wonderful that they were so understanding being that they weren't a special needs camp.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TristansMom440
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I think I'll give them mini gift bags with some of my chocolate samples. :-)  Who doesn't like Dove, right? 

Quoting greenmommo:

That is so great they embraced having him there. Yeah, I think some cookies or something would be great

Leobaby2007
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM
That is SO amazing. I can't wait to send Donovan to a mainstream camp! This was his second year of speech camp, but next year I'm going for it- a mainstream camp!!!!

Congrats on Tristan's success!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN