Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

AmberAlertGPS....my son wandered off today...

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 2:01 AM
  • 24 Replies
So he was swimming with his cousins and grandpa and something made my dad forget about ds till last (he's autistic with a severe speech delay). Obviously, he had split. They took off looking for him and found him a couple blocks away (he's 4).

I've been worried about him doing this for a while, but now I'm scared sh*tless. Im googling some gps units and hoping someone has used AmberAlertGPS or something else they can reccomend because I need to know where he is if this happens again (especially since they are reopening the school near my house where his favorite park is where his IP classes are going to be held). I'm afraid of him "heading home".

I love my dad but he can never watch my son again. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Check with your local sheriffs office, I know ours has a program and will fit the child with a wrist or ankle monitoring device for free.  Thank god he was ok!

shell3m
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 2:04 AM

this is something we are still dealing with, so I'm not even really sure what to say about all of this.  

KimberlyK
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 2:04 AM
Look into project lifesaver.
kajira
by Emma on Jul. 14, 2012 at 3:21 AM

how scary.

momtoscott
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 6:34 AM

You must have been really scared.  I'm glad your DS is okay. 

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 6:42 AM
I can 't imagine how scared you were! So glad he is OK. My friend son wanders some times so she puts a name tag sticker on his back with his name and her cell phone number when they go somewhere. Not the best solution but cheap and effective.
greenmommo
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 6:50 AM
My fear I would havd about this is people with bad intentions now "know" the child enough to rope them in. I was tempted to do this when Nicole was younger, but I avoided it.

Quoting Gloria1025:

I can 't imagine how scared you were! So glad he is OK. My friend son wanders some times so she puts a name tag sticker on his back with his name and her cell phone number when they go somewhere. Not the best solution but cheap and effective.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenmommo
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 6:54 AM
How scary! I think people just don't get how vigilant we have to be. My sis that I hadn't seen in a while said she could watch ds while we went to get a puppy and I declined. We did stop back by and it was very clear her environment was not equipped for my 25 month old and nor did she grasp all I have to do, even if explained to her.

I'm sorry your dad didn't understand and I hope you can find a tracking solution soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twins0506
by Holly on Jul. 14, 2012 at 7:40 AM
I had that happen to me last summer. He was in the pool one minute, next minute he was down the block. Worst feeling in my life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jordiesmom05
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:49 AM
3 moms liked this

Saw this on my facebook page the other day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN