Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Hope for all Aspi and Autistic children's parents!

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:14 AM
  • 4 Replies

Alex, mason's dad, is working at a Hilton hotel in New Jersey.

He just started working there in May as a front desk manager and made his friends and what have you.

He even has basketball games every Thursday as his "guys night".

Anywho, He told me yesterday at dinner that one of his co workers is an 18 years old with Autism.

He is a bell boy making 12 an hour plus tips!

He is socially awkward but he warmed up to Alex and the kid told Alex how he "had" autism but "cured" himself.

After alex told him how Mason our 4 years old has autism and thinks autism makes him [mason] the coolest person because of it LOL, the kid opened up to alex more and says he tells people he's "cured" because he gets made fun of [which made me so sad!]

Alex told his co worker not to ever be ashamed of what makes him so amazing and unique. Since that talk the kid has joined Alex's basketball team and the co workers have a better undertanding of "the weird kid" who is now called by his name Mikey.

It gave me so much hope that Mason and all ASD, Aspi kids have a chance to have such a great paying job and lead as much as a normal everyday life.

Mikey even met mason and they are too funny together. mason talks ALOT when he is around Mike. I think Mike would be great at a YMCA or something advocating with other ASD kids. He seems to be more confident since meeting Mason and hearing alex's advice.

Alex told me he will make sure our child will NEVER feels diffrent or ashamed despite other people's judgement. We can't control other's actions, but even teaching others about autism can help change views.

I'm proud of my honey for sharing Mason's story with his co worker and Mikey has helped me boost my hope and faith mase can lead a wonderful life!

I wanted to share!

by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
greenmommo
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM
That's great that your DH helped put him more at ease.

I think that in order for ASD people to be accepted into main stream employment (A LOT already are) we have to stop thinking in terms of expectations, especially limited expectations. It would never occur to me to think it wasn't a possibility to lead a wonderful, productive life, although I understand how some
parents can wonder about that. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
d0llfACE
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Quoting greenmommo:

I think that in order for ASD people to be accepted into main stream employment (A LOT already are) we have to stop thinking in terms of expectations, especially limited expectations. It would never occur to me to think it wasn't a possibility to lead a wonderful, productive life, although I understand how some

my fear is mason not getting married and finding true love and giving me grandbabies...he's only 4 so i seem insane LOL. but i just worry alot because I have ADHD and dyslexia and was made fun of SO much as a kid for it. kids are so mean and sometimes adults are no better =/

greenmommo
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM
True, but kids are resilient, especially if they are being loved and accepted at home. Your son is a cutie, already has a girlfriend and seems like a smart little boy. Help him learn how to make good decisions and He'll be
fine. You'll see!

Quoting d0llfACE:

Quoting greenmommo:

my fear is mason not getting married and finding true love and giving me grandbabies...he's only 4 so i seem insane LOL. but i just worry alot because I have ADHD and dyslexia and was made fun of SO much as a kid for it. kids are so mean and sometimes adults are no better =/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
d0llfACE
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM

his girlfriend is adorable, she's hispanic and is also ASD and she is INLOVE with him LOL

Quoting greenmommo:

True, but kids are resilient, especially if they are being loved and accepted at home. Your son is a cutie, already has a girlfriend and seems like a smart little boy. Help him learn how to make good decisions and He'll be
fine. You'll see!

Quoting d0llfACE:

Quoting greenmommo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN