Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Getting dd #1 evaluated :(

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM
  • 5 Replies
Many of you know I have a son on the spectrum, officially diagnosed pdd-nos (I say aspie but I'm am following what the doc says)
Anyways him being on the spectrum has really made me start looking very closely at my dd's and I am really seeing a lot of red flags waving in my face with my 3 year old.
So smart she has basically self taught herself the alphabet through the use of iPad apps and the limited amount of time I spend working with her (I work full time)
But she gets inconsolable if something doesn't go her way, she is in her own world 99% of the time, she is obsessed with licking things, we can't get her to make a single step towards potty training and she won't SPEAK.
Not that she doesn't know how she just refuses to speak words about 80% of the time. And when she does speak I feel like she is just saying words every now and then she will have an idea of her own but outside these rare occasions she just says things like a parrot.

So, I have made the executive decision to speak to a doctor about this. I kept telling myself that I was just seeing signs because I have similar issues wih my son but it is slowly becoming apparent that it could very well NOT be all in my head. And since I've have had a NT child to compare the younger ones to, I kept saying its just her age, it's just her age.

I think it may not be her age anymore. I think maybe now I need to face reality. Everyone keep me in your prayers because I never thoug I would be the mother of one special needs child, let alone 2. I just hope I am strong enough to survive this.
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Butterfly1209
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Will do and good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Good luck.

My son and I are both autistic, and my daughter is quirky. She's only a few days shy of 20 months though.... so we'll see what direction she goes in. I'm okay if she's autistic, it doesn't bother me, but i know that it can be really stressful when your required to work a fulltime job and raise special needs children.

I believe that you can handle it. You seem like a great mom. :) You aren't alone though, so please don't hesitate to use the group to vent, or cry, or chit-chat, or whatever it is you need to get through having another child tested, no matter what the outcome is. :)

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

Jamie12345
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM

best of luck and hope things all go well.  you may want to read about sensory processing disorder and see if that fits your daughter.  my son has that and the licking is definitely a sensory thing.  ;)  keep being a wonderful mom!

SaturnsMom
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Thanks ladies!
I know everything will work out I am getting the girls' dad to document the days so I have something concrete to show the drs.
Thanks for always lending an ear.
momtoscott
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Best of luck.  You already know that ASD does tend to run in families, so the possibility is there, but it's never easy to think about all of the things that may face your child.  The good thing is that you already have some experience in manuevering through the minefield of dx, therapy, and life in the SN world, so you are the best mom she could have to help her, if it turns out she's on the spectrum too.  I hope things go well and that it's not as draining and difficult as you fear.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN