Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

if your kids have aspergers do you tell other people upon meeting?

if your kids have aspergers do you tell other people upon meeting?

Do you tell them they have aspergers or autism?

if your kids have other dx's on the spectrum, do you tell them?

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Replies (51-51):
neptunekitty
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Thanks

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting neptunekitty:

How do u go about getting your child tested for autism? I beleive my bf's Youngest son is autistic but my bf doesn't have insurance for him or his brother yet cuz he's still trying to get custody of them, he Is being tested for an early childhood development program but I know they can't say if he has autism or not.. Is there places that can test him for free?

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting smarieljlee:

Bells has a educational label of Autism which is different than a medical diagnosis. Extensive evaluations over 3 years.  We just recently went through the medical eval process. The results are not in yet, but I doubt we will get a ASD DX unfortuntaley. She IS on the spectrum. Most likely Aspergers.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting smarieljlee:

Not unless there is a need. A few of her friends parents know. Dentists and doctors know that deal with her know of course. It is on file with anyone she sees. Of course it is not official, but due to her sensory issues and aversions they need to know that care has to be taken performing procedures.

What do you mean, not official? my son is going through the evaluation process now so he hasn't been dx'ed yet. Is this what you mean?

What? So sorry. Stupid doctors.

I think the only way you can get this done for free is if you have medicaid.

Even with insurance it can be a hassle.

It may or may not be covered. Here is a state by state breakdown of where each state stands on policy regarding insurance and autism: http://www.autismvotes.org/site/c.frKNI3PCImE/b.3909861/k.B9DF/State_Initiatives.htm

The link above currently doesn't work. But check back periodically. If not google autismvotes. There is a lot of work to do to help our kiddos (not fluffy us as a society I'm talking about you the parent), so you have to READ A LOT. Read everything pertinent on the autismspeaks website. Its a lot but very helpful.

A developmental pedi can dx child. the whole process can be b/w $1K to $3K, depending on the area. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN