Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I know others have posted about this, but since my son didn't do it at the time, I really don't remember the replies except perhaps it could be yeast related, or I am confusing that with something else?

Lately he has been putting a lot of things in his mouth, including his fingers, which he did in the bathtub tonight. Umm...he will be 5 on August 3rd and stopped mouthing objects when he was 18 months old.

This afternoon, the front of his shirt was wet, from saliva, since he was chewing on his shirt collar.

Like I mentioned, this is a new thing.

We had a fantastic day. I took him to The Play Factory, The Container Store and to see Ice Age 3. We spent 12 happy hours together today. It was great.

What could be causing this behavior, do you think?

Help!

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Replies (41-45):
shell3m
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Dean is 7 and still does this.  Whenever I see Dean doing this I just tell him to stop and move on with the day.   lol  sorry I dont have better advice hun.  :)

Aspiemom0203
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:44 AM
I constantly tell Jacob to take things put of his mouth. Yesterday it was Legos. Every one of his shirts have been chewed and stretched around the collar. You can always tell the favorite because it has the most holes. I think it soothes him. I know he doesn't realize he's chewing because he always looks confused when I asked him to take something out of his mouth. BTW I chew on stuff. Wrappers are the worst and I have no idea why. But it makes me calmer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epiccipe26
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Hello- my son, Tyler, who is four has been putting things in his mouth for as long as i can remember.  He goes through stages where he will bite on his shirt collar until it is completely drenched in saliva.  And then there will be weeks where he wont do it at all.  It could be a tooth coming in, or he is just craving oral stimulation.  I also noticed that during the periods of time when my son is eating better (he is very picky eater), he is less likely to chew his shirt.  Although I have not found a way to stop the shirt eating, we began tying bandanas around his collar, like Woody in toy story.  So even though the bandanas get soaked- it is easier to change them often , as oppossed to changing his shirt ten times a day.

Good Luck!

badgermom2012
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM

My son will do it off and on.  In the past there have been times it was associated with teething, but other times I don't know what triggered it or why he stopped and started again several months later.  

JanaPowers
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM
It is a nervous habit. He was prob overly tired. 12 hours is a very long time for a kiddo. My son did that today. I understand the habit because I still do it. I don't even know it. I do it when I'm exhausted, or even in mindless thought. Like I do with myself, I tell him to stop. Today I made him lay down and take a nap. He went out like a light. Watch for other signs. If he suddenly has a burst of energy and can't be still he may be fighting sleepiness. People are funny creatures, and we all have our own stress relief habits. It is hard being mom and being able to fit so much into a day. Try letting him get power naps in if you have a big day. Even 30 mins. may do the trick! (:
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)