Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What to do

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

I recently applied to go back to school and for financial aid and now I am second guessing myself. My oldest son is 13 and severly autistic ( I describe him to people who don't know him like a 5'8" 2 year old) and had a lot of problems at school last year and had to be put on home bound ed for the remainder of the year. Now his favorite teacher from elementary and the school board have created a class basically just for him and this year he is going back, and his behaviors have gotten better as a result of meds and constant trial and error in dicipline on my part. So my question is this....Should I go ahead and go back to school or should I wait till next year and see how he does first?

Also I have 2 other children, a girl who is 15 and also on the spectrum but a lot higher functioning and a 7 year old who is not on the spectrum at all.

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twins0506
by Holly on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM
This is why I'm not going back to school yet. But my boys are only 3 and I'm still getting in the groove of things. If you think your son is comfortable enough in school to where you feel comfortable with him there then I would do it. You deserve to do something for you.
arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM
I have a friend that went back this year. She has a low functioning 5 yr old and a nt 4 yr old. Her kids are both in school most of the time bust she has sitters on backup in case one is sick or has to leave early. Her 5 yr old is in a sn school. Anyway, it's hard for her but she makes it work. If you have a good support team I'd say go for it. Otherwise, you may want to wait to build a support team or look into online school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sammi007
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM

My parent's and both my sisters are willing to help out but I am so nervous about it now that I started the process. I am hoping that I am just projecting my anxiety about going back

Quoting arkansasmama08:

I have a friend that went back this year. She has a low functioning 5 yr old and a nt 4 yr old. Her kids are both in school most of the time bust she has sitters on backup in case one is sick or has to leave early. Her 5 yr old is in a sn school. Anyway, it's hard for her but she makes it work. If you have a good support team I'd say go for it. Otherwise, you may want to wait to build a support team or look into online school

arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Well, then try to relax. You'll be fine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Thats really up to u but maybe just take 1-2 classes this year and then start fullnext year

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:40 PM

If you have the support behind you go for it :) 

Aspiemom0203
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM
The worst that could possibly happen is you withdraw for the semester and try again next year. Give it a shot. You won't know until you try. How about starting part time with just a couple of classes at first? Or try some online core classes? Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sammi007
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

The program I am taking isn't available online so I am going to do the best I can and if I have to withdraw then I will but staying home for 7 years has made me a little stir crazy so I am hoping this will work out. Thanks

Quoting Aspiemom0203:

The worst that could possibly happen is you withdraw for the semester and try again next year. Give it a shot. You won't know until you try. How about starting part time with just a couple of classes at first? Or try some online core classes? Good luck!!

momtoscott
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you should try to go to school and see how it works out.  You can't and shouldn't put your life on hold forever.  It sounds like there's a great teacher/class for your son. Hope for the best and go to school!

mr.scariesmommy
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually quit school to be home with Joe. He is almost 5 but he is pretty much a two ye old. The program I wanted was going to take at least three yrs and we can't put him in day care. I say if you have the support to be able to go back to school then you could at least try it. Good luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)