Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Attached to ear protection....?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM
  • 5 Replies
Do, Maggie doesn't like loud places or noises. Last week we went to a friends birthday party and when we started singing happy birthday she ran to the other room and covered her ears. So, because we were going to the camp this weekend and were in a parade today, I bought her a pair of pink earphones, like the ones you wear to go shooting. They work and she loved them. Too much. She won't take them off. If I do she screams "LOUD!!!" until I put them back on. Right now she has on them on and she says it's because the dryers too loud. And it's quiet lol. Anyway, do I do something or just leave it alone and see if the novelty wears off?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momtoscott
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Can you transition her to earbuds for a while and then off?  Earbuds will also block sounds and be less noticeable. 

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM
I would let it go as long as it's not interferring with her learning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alissaplusthree
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM

It may be the novelty. My son "overwears" new hats & gloves.

OR it may be that she has finally found a way to decrease sounds that overstimulate her. Even though it is quiet, she is prepared for when any noise starts. ;-)

I recommend you let her have them as long as she wants unless you see harm in it.

arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM
That's what I'm worried about. If she won't take them off when we do our school work

Quoting newmommy430:

I would let it go as long as it's not interferring with her learning.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Ok. I guess I'll just leave it for now. This kid doesn't make sense. Maybe it is just the novelty of them. Or maybe the pressure or weight has something to do with it? She tends to like tight things. Anyway, she finally took them off to watch NASCAR lol go figure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)