Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What would you do?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM
  • 11 Replies

Krystyne has issues of physical space or lack there of. I am sleeping on the couch because we live with relatives until we get back on our feet and can find a place of our own. So she comes in i guess. Gets up and lays down on me playing Pokemon on her ds. I must of been having a nightmare i apparently hit her. she was yelling what was that for? it made me jump awake. Then i realize my hip, lower back etc is throbbing pain. The hip i have the most trouble with. I ask why are you laying on me. She says i did not see you. Umm I had on a red shirt no blanket and a pillow under my head. and it was light.

How do i get her to understand this is not OKAY? Any other advice?

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
greenmommo
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Oh-I don't know! Nicole does things like that too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WildCat73
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I forgot to mention she is 9 and has pdd nos ,aspergers etc. to be honest she is really smart high a honor roll,high ability class. But her actions seem babyish(3-5 years old) like i am still a little bitty girl. So i am thinking that is why.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM

i don;t have any suggestions. :( i guess its comforting to know its not out of malice or anything.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM
IDK my daughter is the same! You can do some visual learning with videos of what personal space is and make up something visual like a hula hoop or swim tube to demonstrate personal space so she can visualize it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheCrooners
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM
I asked my son today, okay, it was more of a whine on my part really, but I said, "WHY do you boys always have to sit right on top of me and take ALL my space?" I said it in a "Oh woe is me!" tone. He says, without any pause, without thinking, just quickly responds with:

Because I love you so much!

Yeah. My cold heart melted. Then the youngest child farted, the spell was broken and I kicked them off the Loveseat to sit next to one another on the couch. ;-p
elkmomma
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

sigh and roll the eyes

Thaddeus has done that so many times.  I finally did it back to him (not all my weight) after he fell asleep on the couch during a midday movie.  It woke him up mad as hell but I appologized and said"Sorry I didn't know you were there."  He hasn't done it again.

Aspiemom0203
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Jacob loves to get in my personal space. Sitting on me or in front of me. But he only does it to me!!!! I feel bad because I have to Constantly ask him to move. I love him, but he's already 5'6" and 120 lbs, I'm 5'8" and 135. He's going to squash me in another year!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheCrooners
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Quoting elkmomma:

sigh and roll the eyes

Thaddeus has done that so many times.  I finally did it back to him (not all my weight) after he fell asleep on the couch during a midday movie.  It woke him up mad as hell but I appologized and said"Sorry I didn't know you were there."  He hasn't done it again.

LOL!
WildCat73
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 2:02 PM

If i even sit partially on her i would probably kill her. :( She is so darn underweight. They said it is her meds making her not want to eat. Next month i am going to see if they can switch her medicine.

shell3m
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I'm not sure there is anything you can do.  It's just a  part of who they are, very strong tunnel vision.  We are working with Dean on this but quite frankly I know it will always be there in some form.  Dean has gotten much better than just a year ago but he will still run over Jackson (our toddler) when he's running through the apartment at times...lol  **shrugs** 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)