Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group.

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi I'm new to the group and just wanted to say hi! I'm a SAHM with 3 kids Aurora 5 who has been diagnosed with Autism, Dougy 3, and Elena 1.  My family still fights me on my daughters diagnoses and so I just was looking somewhere to vent and see how others try to help their children. Aurora will be starting Kindergarten this year and we will be doing virtual school (another thing my family says I'm doing wrong) she is very smart but not very patient and has an anxiety disorder so I did not feel school was the best place for her right now. Is anyone else doing this I would love some tips.

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Welcome to the group :)

TheCrooners
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Welcome, you'll get tons of support here. I homeschool my two sons on the spectrum. They're now 12 and 10 and are very happy, well adjusted kiddos. I didn't have any support in the beginning either but it didn't stop me from doing what I knew to be best for my sons. Besides, I was the one that carried them for 9 long uncomfortable months and gave birth to them. My kids, my decisions. If they weren't going to help then they needed to bite their tongue and butt out.
justfiveofus
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Welcome to the group!!

shadow
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:15 PM

hello ! dont worry about what everyone eles thinks or say Just goe with what ur heart and mind tells you to do ... your his Mom and you know in ur heart what is Best for him .  = )

fourkidsinnc
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM

welcome

NatureMomof3
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Welcome to the group. Homeschooling is not the right fit for us, but it is a great option for some kids on the spectrum. There are a lot of moms in the group who will have good advice. As her mom, you know what she needs and don't let it get to you when other family members don't or can't accept the reality.
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Welcome!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilnose02
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Hi!!  My son is 4 with an ASD (specific diagnosis TBD).  My family also questions it and think the doctors are wrong and he'll outgrow it.  It can be really tough not having their support.  Part of that is a lack of understanding the spectrum  aspect.  

concernedmom516
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I'm new to the group as well.  My son is 20 years old now and was diagnosed with PDD/ASD when he was 2 1/2.  DO NOT let anyone tell you what you need to do (or not do) for your son.  And don't pay attention to those who are in denial.  When my son was diagnosed at the age of 2 1/2 (very young considering how long ago that was), my grandmother said "but he looks so normal".  OMG!! I'd like to know what "normal" looks like.  Only you know what you need to do.....trust yourself!  Your instincts will guide you, no matter what anybody else says.  Best of luck always!!

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM
Welcome! I have 3 kids and 2 are on the spectrum. They are 9 & 2.5. Then I have a 10 month old.

We homeschool our 9 year through an online public charter school too. It can be tough sometimes but it's also really tough getting her to school with all of her meltdowns. She wouldn't get out of bed or go to bed. It got really bad. So the online school works for us for now. You will figure it out! It takes a few weeks to get in the swing of things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)